Should I open my own company or work for a exisiting company

Originally Posted By: jvanloo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As I am waiting for my license to be processed I am trying to make a choice. Should I try and open my own company or work for a established company on salary? I would receive extra training from this company while being payed and learn their secrets. I would like to be in their spot down the road. They are not a franchise and have 5 inspectors who they keep on salary. This tells me that they must be getting alot of inspections. The owner started by himself 8 years ago and now sits in his home office and just markets. Any suggestions would help.

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Jason,

Welcome to the Group!!

I can only speak for my self, but I have worked for years both for Corporations and for myself. Without a doubt, working for yourself is the best there is. Number one, you are the Boss, your success and failure is predicated upon your ambition and hard work. The harder you work, the more successful you become, and only have yourself, and family of course, to worry about.

I love my independence!! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Good luck,

Ron.

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Make sure you have covered all bases and you know exactly what you are doing, everything from how to perform an inspection & with what tool to writing a report to marketing to deciding on if you want to register as a C corp, LLC, to complying with State and local laws. (which it looks like you already are doing.) etc.

It is the greatest thing in the world, being your own boss and building something from scratch. But saying that,
it also takes time, took me 8 months to launch,
money to get started, on average 20K,
research, which is never ending,
and 100% dedication.

If you decide to start your own business there will probably be those times when your phone won't ring for 2 weeks. Mine didn't, I had to keep checking my line because I thought it might have been disconnected. It wasn't. But it was very discouraging. You just have to keep your head up and have a positive attitude and know it will get better.

Ok, I'm done babbling now.

Best of luck!!

Kevin

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jason,

There are plenty of pluses and minuses to both sides of the argument. If you don't want the responsibility of working 12 hours a day, seven days a week, working for someone else could prove beneficial to you. On the other hand, if you are a dedicated, hard working individual and you are not afraid of long hours waiting for the telephone to ring, working for yourself can prove satisfying.

It really would depend on you and your needs. If you will need to maintain an income while you are learning home inspections, you may prefer to start out working for someone else and you could always go out on your own later.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jvanloo

I am leaning towards working for this other company. I don’t have the money to really launch a business by myself right now. I run my own business right now so down the road it will not be a problem. I just think the extra training and knowledge I may gain from this other company would be beneficial. I am only 27 and have a long career ahead of me in this field so I know eventually I will work for myself. This just seems a good way for me to gain experience and have a steady income with benefits until I ready to go at it alone.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jason,

If working for someone else is what you need right now, why not? It sounds like you are uncertain of yourself. Do some searching on who is the best to work for, how much they will pay and most importantly how much knowledge and experience will you gain while employed with them. If they are paying for your education, you can not discount that worth in terms of dollars and cents. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers