Should NACHI Put a Cap on Membership?

After 10,000, you mean if I hold out long enough I could sell my spot to the highest bidder ?:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mic

Justo… yes.

The seat would be an investment that you could cash out when you leave. It is essentially another NACHI member benefit… an exit package.

Nick, you’re a funny guy !!!:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wow. How much money do you estimate Erol Kartal would have already made if this were in effect, today?:shock:

I am not debating you my friend but I do hve to add you have much to learn about it being MY meal ticket as I do not consider myself a vendor…the only product I have to offer is ME and my knowledge…if no one wants to attend and hear what i say…thats their choice as no one is twisting an arm and I can take it or leave it…hell I dont like flying anyway!..if you think I can live off about $ 12,000 a year doing NACHI events you are mistaken fella…lol…I live off my electrical contracting business, inspection business, RadioPet Corporation and K-9 Groom-N,Inc. business ventures I have.

I do quite well in my business and one house I just wired made me $ 12,000 profit…so NACHI is hardly my meal ticket…lol…but I can’t speak for the other vendors but YOU NEED vendors…without them you will not grow, offer services and offer education that people OBVIOUSLY want…as you said it vendors and members to gain from the venture.

Let me lay it down for you…We did a seminar in SC about a month ago…50 guys attended I believe…the place cost like $ 3,500.00 to rent and food ( nice food mind you…no burgers stuff ). They had to pay ME …rent the video equipment…pay my room bills, pay my travel arrangements…anyway…you do the math…

$ 100.00 a head x 50 guys = $ 5,000 ( might have been $ 125.00 a head )

Now…NACHI has to make something, They have to pay ME …they have to pay the person putting this event on and travel expenses, lodging man…I did the MATH myself and NACHI had to have LOST money on the event…and you say it is "Mouthwatering " BUT i can guarantee you the GUYS got their monies worth at the event because they wanted to know more about electrical issues…

So who picked up the TAB for where the event may have lost money JUST because NACHI wants to ensure a good educational event…NACHI pays that…the memberships help…now members can say I dont want my money going towards that…get real people…when you buy a membership to anything you dont dictate where the money goes…would it not be better off going to educational events than somewhere else?

Can’t say I agree with your stance and please dont think I am argueing with you…just a good ole debate…I know for a fact with my travel and hotel room and speaking fee and so on I took 40% of that…as with the others involved or organizers…now that leaves 20% to handle the room fee for a whole day…

I think it says VOLUMES about NACHI to have events…before I was a educator with NACHI I was a member…and as a member I think doing more more education helps…now does it help me IF they want me to do them…sure…something wrong with that…Capitalism Baby…if everyone knows enough about electricity to never attend a meeting I put on…GREAT…my JOB is over…me , greg, peter, bob, and joe ( electricians ) can sleep better…our job is done…:slight_smile:

If NACHI did that and I was a new EGAR member wanting to join the GREAT association of NACHI and I was turned away…you would NEVER see me back and go running to another association.

That would be like VISA saying they are issueing no more credit cards and only deal with whats out here today…sure they would make money but they would not GROW…and make MORE money.

Memberships mean growth…growth spawns advancement and advancement provides benefits…they all go hand in hand.

If you profited 12,000 on one house, it was sizable home Would that be about a $500,000.00 home?

Nope…it was a 2.5M home and from what I gathered from other guys around town…I should have made more…we do some FINE work…:slight_smile:

But you take what you can get…but I would NEVER believe it would benefit NACHI to limit membership…you close the door and people will go elsewhere…and WHAT if those who wanted to join were previous ASHI and NAHI members who are finally able to see the light…would you GAIN from turning them away…I would think not…

Again…only my opinion and I am quite a debating mood tonight…not sure why!

Nick how much of the country is not even covered by a NACHI chapter at present time?

Nick

If you cap membership at any # you will make other organizations stronger.

Are you tired of us?Or will it be to much work if it ever reaches 15,000+members?

I think you should just let it go to whatever the market will sustain!!

NAHI,OAHI ASHI, only wish that they had a decision like this to make!!!

I would guess based on your comments you would want George W. as ambassador. Disagree with his policies and he just fabricates a reason to invade and then bombs you into submission. Don’t you just love 20/20 hindsight?

:shock:

Since you asked… I believe this might be the fulcrum to move the profession forward in that not only would there need to be a seat open we could also raise-the-bar and only allow those who have achieved a designated education/experience level in.

Just thinking off the top of my head… To make it truly fair we might consider only limiting the national memberships to 10K but allow anyone to join local chapters where they could experience many of the benefits of membership while waiting for a full-member seat to open up.

Something to think about and consider, thanks for starting the discussion.

There is always room for growth if an organization has planned for it.

Erol K.
Pro Inspect

Interesting question. Should NACHI Put a Cap on Membership?

My funny answer. I don’t want no stinking hat… :smiley: :cool: :wink:

OK, Now for some insight. At first glance it looks like a viable request and quite doable. But NACHI also has a duty to the public. By shutting our doors we are also shutting out training and education to the inspectors who need it the most, the newcomers.

By literally shutting our doors to the newcomers to the industry. we would in effect be failing the consuming public. Isn’t this against our code of ethics? (Duty to the Profession and to the public). Is this ethical.

On the other hand, by shutting our doors we have created a system akin to the Trade Unions. Wherein no new apprentice are accepted until a vacancy has been created.

I’m for it and against it right at this point.

Not if we don’t limit membership at the chapter level, let then get their training there.

Capping would limit competition to a point, (since nachi is the best way to success). I would think John Bushart would not like this at all, since it can limit others… ? John what is your take on that.

By the way, I am unsure.

I see. So you feel that NACHI Chapters should have a tiered membership system. I don’t see why they can’t. They are after all separate entities from NACHI.

It would be a great way to develop the chapters.

I’m right there with you John, and the splinters are getting painfull :mrgreen:

Regards

Gerry

I wouldn’t doubt if Nick doesn’t start up a NACHI II… :smiley: