Should this area of AC refrigerant line protective sleeve be sealed?

My understanding is that the wall penetration should be sealed, but I cant confirm that it is and this seems like an easy way for pests to explore. I feel like I’ve seen it sealed on this end before but I don’t want to sound like a dummy. Am I correct to recommend that it should be?

Unconventional approach… where did the lineset go? Where did it enter the house? realize we cannot see this in your single pic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s the other end.

Looks like it was run through an old dryer vent.

2 Likes

Or maybe bathroom vent.

1 Like

Yes, definitely should be sealed unless they like cute furry :mouse: :mouse2: running around inside.

2 Likes

Ive actually seen this material used as a protective sleeve before. maybe its more common in TX.

2 Likes

I knew it! thanks Simon.

Actually waging a war on those “critters” tonight. Been in my kitchen and ready to nuke them… :rat: :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Quit inviting them for a crunchy meal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Used “creamy” peanut butter last night and the little shit licked it clean. Might try “crunchy” tonight… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have seen that more than once. Try a sticky trap, they can be effective for the light-footed ones.

1 Like

Yep! Used them and my “Big Hearted” wife thinks they are inhumane… She thinks the “guillotine” method is more “humane”…go figure… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Aw man, I helped my dad take out his dishwasher from his kitchen island the other night… He and my stepmother have been smelling a strong urine odor near it so they assumed pests were hiding behind it. The dishwasher was missing the bottom trim piece so there was extremely easy access to the framing of the island and ooo wee, mice and roaches were having a blast back there. Mouse shit and piss everywhere and I also learned what cockroach eggs look like…

1 Like

At my last house the same thing started happening. We thought it was mice but turns out it was his bigger cousin, so we had to hire an exterminator.

I have had excellent results with glue traps in my vacation cabin in the forest of Washington state!

1 Like

FYI: Glue traps can be successful, but urine will degrade the glue and they can get off the glue board. Young mice will also roll on the glue board and lose their hairs and roll off it. Best to set a mine field of snap traps and use cotton balls taped to the trap. 30 years of experience and the first 3 years I had the same problem till I was taught how to better get those vermin.

Cotton balls?

Did a quick google search on that ? too. They mixed the PB with a small amount of cotton. Apparently the mice teeth get caught in it more and it secures to the trap better making it easy to trip. I’m going to give it a try tonight and see how effective it is. Had a double trap set up last night. Picked clean and both were tripped…sly little basta…

1 Like

I would recommend sealing.
Why not?