Should this ASHI inspector be allowed to operate w/o license

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://kdka.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=8156&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=9

The inspector, Thomas Laurito is a member of ASHI and the scam outfit PHIC.

Hopefully licensing would eliminate ASHI members like this?

http://kdka.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=8156&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=9

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

Where did it say he did not have a license?

Nick, your ability to slant the truth is only rivaled by the reporter ![eusa_liar.gif](upload://yJLqY2nUokkPgztREQci3k1hplP.gif)

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Rob,

Pennsylvania doesn't have licensing do they. Requirements, yes. Licensing, no.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I took that as a rhetorical question from a person with a tendentious viewpoint.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

icon_biggrin.gif SYLLABICATION: ten?den?tious

VARIANT FORMS: also ten?den?cious

ADJECTIVE: Marked by a strong implicit point of view; partisan: a tendentious account of the recent elections.

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Thanks Michael,

Adam, A Plus

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

Thanks Michael,

John,
I was refering to Nick's thread title. I read it to imply the inspector was operating w/o a license. Not that one did or did not exist.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

deleted

Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I’m for sensible licensing that doesn’t presume to be able to determine an applicant’s competence based on whether or not the applicant had $15 to buy the NHIE pool on eBay and memorize the answers.

I'm for sensible licensing that insists on a well balanced licensing board made up of members in the same proportion as their respective association's position and size within the industry: NACHI 85%, ASHI 10%, Others 5%, NAHI 0%.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: mjerome

gromicko wrote:

The inspector, Thomas Laurito is a member of ASHI and the scam outfit PHIC.

Hopefully licensing would eliminate ASHI members like this?

The reporter in the news story was obviously referring to the NACHI on-line examination when he stated that he himself became a certified home inspector on-line in less than an hour. I cringed when I heard that.

Mark Jerome

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

True professionalism is all about obligation, duty and earned privilege. The other associations have top loaded their models to earn credibility and to expand the levels of competence from basic to those more advanced.

Equally its ironic today to hear that people demand their rights and demand compensation for those that want to raise the bar and assure that people are well trained. Before people can become competent at what they do they must be able to prove that they have met the required skills specific to this occupation - that cannot be master or acquired that level of competence in a 1 hour exam, or by a 40 hour course, without specific in-depth inspection training or without practical experience.

When something goes wrong, somebody was incompetent. Incompetence costs everyone. Who is responsible for incompetence? Who pays? How can "we" amend this flaw? The purpose of all credentials or upping the level for certification is to set useful and practical values to reduce the risk, and assure a higher standard in technical skills. Likewise there is more to education than technical training and successfully completing an online exam, and completing the obstacle course.

In fairness certain specific education and relevant prior training or skills also can help raise the level of competence and credibility in this profession. What I see the "flaw" in the present system is the claim that inspectors are "certified" or believe that they are on the bases of only acquiring the minimal occupational competence. I feel this does not add adequate credibility under the current circumstance. In essence all it really does is confirm that a member has successfully completed all the requirements of NACHI. There is a huge difference. Depending on validation of ones skill sets - your mileage can vary dramatically.

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.