Should you trust FPE Panels?

I have had them fall out when removing the cover as well.

I have also encountered burnt bus bars.

I report what I find and move on.

Many FP panels have no problems at all.

Also loose and arcing breakers are not confined to just FP panels. It’s not that simple.

The CSPC makes clear that the recommendations it gives applies to all panels. I posted their recommendation above.

I think it is prudent for home inspectors to be aware that the may encounter it somewhat more often in FP panels and intentionally look for those problems.

First time removal of FPE tells me the odds already.
Keep it closed and defer unless you enjoy liability.

I have no issue with removing an FP panel.

You can do as you wish but I find it not a big deal to remove them even if a breaker starts to come out.

I don’t understand what increased liability you think I am acquiring.

Are you a parrot? This is from #6 on this page http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpefield.htm

If you can do nothing other than to parrot this site to support your position, then your opinion is worthless.

I will get a picture tomorrow if I am down at the shop.
And yes this is one area but there must be about 100 sites on FPE panels.
Regardless there are differences in quality and design but this does not change anything.

Hey Kevin… Fess up! You stole the basic text of the above from… http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpefield.htm

Google is awesome for catching liars and cheats !!!
(Highlight his text and search Google)…
https://www.google.com/search?q=I+do+notice+what+appears+to+be+a+significant+difference+in+busbar+design+from+the+American+panel+busbars+shown+on+your+website%3A+Principally%2C+at+least+with+this+particular+panel%2C+the+busbars+are+each+one+single+piece+of+stamped+and+folded+brass%2Fcopper.+There+are+no+screw+connections%2C+other+then+the+main+lugs+which+appear+to+be+held+to+the+main+busbar+by+a+%2310+screw+(where+the+American+counterparts+where+the+connection+was+with+a+%238+screw.)+They+apper+to+have+been+stamped+flat%2C+and+then+have+had+the+stab+tabs+bent+over+from+alternating+sides+of+the+central+insulator.%0D%0AThis+might+perhaps+explain+the+fewer+reports+of+bus+failures+in+Canadian+panels.+Given+the+reports+(albeit+few)+of+breakers+failing+to+open+which+have+received+CSA+approval+in+older+FPE+and+FP+panels%2C+I+am+inclined+to+not+have+faith+in+their+designs%2C+in+spite+of+the+potential+for+different+manufacturing+tolerances+to+favourably+influence+trip+behaviour.+Locally%2C+Stab+lok+breakers+made+by+Schneider+electric%2C+which+are+compatible+with+stab+lok+panels+are+available%2C+and+are+actually+fairly+reasonably+priced+(between+%2410+and+%2440+CDN+for+15A+single+pole+%3E40+amp+double+pole.)+Having+not+actually+removed+one+of+the+older+breakers+(yet)+I+am+unaware+if+the+stabs+on+the+breakers+have+been+redesigned+in+Schneider’s+products+to+improve+their+holding+ability%2C+which+is+my+only+remaining+reservation+on+replacing+the+breakers+in+the+panel.&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADRA_en

Way too many words and phrases duplicated to be your own unique statement!

You should be ashamed of yourself!

EDIT: Ahhh… I see Mr. Pope has already B-U-S-T-E-D you on it !!!

It also is funny how fast you can find info If you are already given the spot where to look.
I put the spot up in the first place but researched this way back over 3 yrs ago if not longer.

Did I say it was from me No are the cyber cops going to take me away! at least you guys have went to the site.
So everyone knows this was reported on Inspectopedia.com
Reported 21/11/2009 there is no name of the individual sorry please don’t drag me to jail. LOL

http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpefire.htm

He’s learning. Straight to step 3. :roll:

http://www.realbay.co/uploadedimages/241164.jpg

How long have you been a home inspector KEVIN?

Well I have had enough laughter therapy it is time for me to go! LOL

Some people are just plain CRAZY.

What year were these put in on average,about 1960 or so?

How long is the average breaker panel and breakers expected to last and are stabloc easy to get?(not talking Canadian issue here)

Mike for you to say you have no issue with breakers popping out at you is a bit of a statement on the brand and personal testimonial to contradiction don’t you think?
Sure use your own judgement but do not tell newbies they are fine…come on now.

Most old brass gas valve handles do nor break off in your hand but does that justify turning one?

You have knowledge of the many /many/many sites speaking of FPE not being safe plus personal experience of other Inspectors including yourself to draw a firm conclusion and how much do you wish to bet the 203K inspectors recommend replacement automatically.

Was it you or Jeff that said they recommend Pushmatic be replaced ?(I find them fine). This was if I recall based on age and lack of ability to add more breakers(hey they make sidecars).
Just something to think about as we are here which also proves an issue as it does not go away.

Go back and read what I said.

I have no problem taking off the panel even if they start to pop out.

It can be dealt with if you are careful.

They don’t fly out and attack you.

Do they come loose? Sometimes. I just put them back in and note it.

An electrician who used to post here said the pushmatics were some of the best devices ever produced.

I agree on Pushmatic yet the 203K guy said replace because of age and it is true about them usually being full with no extra knockouts which is limiting in modern times.

Either way it might be best to spend the $800 on a new panel and relax/get that 100/200 amp circuit going.
I should add that may double the price of some dilapidated properties…lol.

If a home has limited capacity i note that no matter the brand of panel

Not me. I only recommend replacement when there’s an obvious problem.

Actually, **Kevin Wood, CMI, **of Sault Ste Marie ON Canada, yes you did.

You made a post without any indication that the content was from another source, thus you tried to pass it off as your own.

In the United States, (and I would also presume in Canada), that is called Plagiarism!

I feel sorry for any and all of your clients… past, present, and future!!!

If that is what you think Jonas!