Show of SHOWS!!!!!

Sunday night after 11;00 pm easten you might get the biggest display in the night sky looking North east .
This could be worth getting the kids up to see .
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/meteors/

. … Cookie

I was camping way up north a few years ago around this time of year when the Persied meteor storm was happening. Trust me, this truly is a show not to be missed, it is absolutely spectacular and best of all it’s free.

Thanks for the heads up Roy.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Sure could look like it .
One day about 40 years ago I came home from work and the Northern lights
( Aurora Borealis ) where the best I had ever seen .
Got our 4 kids up at 2;00 am and they still remember it now.
Well worth gettinmg them up.

… Cookie

dang, I thought show of shows meant Roy was treating us to a night at the rippers.:wink:
Thanks for the heads up Roy

[size=1]Miranda Mulligan / The Virginian-Pilot[/size]
[FONT=ms sans serif,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=]When to look: The constellation Perseus rises at 9:30 p.m., and the show starts then, but the real action is from midnight to 4 a.m. Monday.
Where to look: Perseus rises in the northeast. Look for it to the left of constellations Aries and Taurus, around Mars. What you’ll see: Sixty to 120 meteors per hour. Note the colors, a hallmark of the Perseid showers. where you need to be
[/size][/FONT]IF YOU’VE GOT some wishing to do, start making a list.
Sunday night shooting stars will streak across the sky at the rate of one a minute, maybe more.
The annual Perseid meteor shower - generally the best shootin’ star show of the year - peaks Sunday night through predawn Monday.
The new moon ensures a dark night sky. As long as the clouds stay at bay, conditions couldn’t be better.
Meteors, or shooting stars, are the pebble-sized particles flung from comets orbiting the sun. The debris travels at more than
100,000 mph. A s it hits Earth’s atmosphere, the super-hot friction causes the particles to ignite, and the show for us Earthlings begins.
“Imagine what it was like for people watching this 1,500 years ago,” said Charles Dibbs, planetarium coordinator for Virginia Beach City Public Schools. “They must have thought the gods were throwing things at them.”
Dibbs, who runs the planetarium at Plaza Middle School, gave us a crash course on meteors so we can fully appreciate the show.
The “parent comet” of the Perseid shower is Comet Swift-Tuttle. This comet is far, far from Earth, orbiting the sun, but each August we pass through its trail of debris, and, voila, a meteor shower.
All meteor showers are named for the constellations they appear to originate from, a point in space that astronomers call the radiant, Dibbs explained.
The Perseid meteor showers, for example, appear to radiate from a point in the constellation Perseus, mythological son of Zeus and slayer of Medusa.
Although the meteors are about 80 to 120 kilometers above us, they’ll be plenty visible with the naked eye, if the sky is clear.
“Get to the darkest spot you can,” Dibbs said, and spend some time if you want to appreciate it fully.
And don’t forget to contemplate the awesomeness of the Milky Way, which is quite visible this time of year.
“When you look at it towards Scorpius and Sagittarius in the south,” Dibbs said, “you are looking into the center of our galaxy.”