Show & Tell #5

This is an interior wall, no heating or cooling ducts in this cavity, no electricity or plumbing in this stud cavity either. The photos are the front and opposite side of the wall.

So what can it be? I’ll see who answers first, and yes I do know what the issue is and will post later.

Backwall.jpg

Frontwall.jpg

Nest?..Rodent?

Is it a bolt or fastener of some type?

More in info would help. slab floor ? 1 or 2 floor ?

The IR is blocking the spot in ?.

It may be a metal wall plate strap.

Best

Ron

Slab floor, below grade and no signs of moisture or any damage to the surface. It looked as clean as the rest of the wall.

I don’t known your codes in Atlanta re: interior walls

Its not termites or a pest problem. Each wall has the same issue in the same spot. That makes me think its part of the walls construction.

Best

Ron

Here is what the problem was - Infrared pictures from Atlanta

Looks like larry got it. good call larry.

Now did you tap the wall?
Did that spot move at any time?
Did the owner have any idea of this?
Is this home in the country on in town?

And at what point did you known what it was ?

Stuff we need to know.

Thanks that very good.

Ron

After scanning this entire space of living area and did not notice any other possible deficiencies, I narrowed it down to this one particular spot.

Hope this helps.

Good stuff brian. 2 photos and one 1 SQ. I was thinking that we had 2 spots at the same time. 2 little SQ. so we had 1 SQ. that was moving from one spot in the wall to the other side of the wall.

Thanks.

Brian That was fun. gota love THE GAME OF IR.

Best

Ron

Brian just curious how did that bugger get in the wall did you see any holes in the top wall plate. Plates are double 2X4’s would be much for a squirrel to make his own hole must have been a man made hole already.

BTW good images the person with a camera in his hand will go far in this business when they see something strange and goes the extra mile to discover why

72 degrees is awfully low temp. for a live animal.

This location was a finished walk-out basement. The ceiling was a dropped(framed) ceiling. From the garage side there were several openings for plumbing, HVAC ducts, etc… The buggers were getting in around the lines from the compressor, then up into the cavity with the dropped ceiling. I couldn’t directly see the top plate at this location, so I’m assuming there was a void big enough for them to drop down into the stud cavity.

I’m assuming they were actually stuck in there. As I was getting them out, they really wouldn’t climb up the inside of the cavity.

The target doesn’t appear to be on the hottest area of the image.

Good stuff!

I’m sure that no squirrels were harmed during their release!? :wink:
</IMG>

They were released without incident. :slight_smile:

They were a little dazed and confused at first, but then took right off. Kind of like me in the mornings! :wink:

The temperature you are seeing is the temperature of the wall surface, not the squirel’s body heat.

The squirrel’s body temperature is conducting through the wall surface.

O.K. I understand now, thanks David.

Check up on direct/indirect scans.

Low apparent temperatures CAN be significant when they are indirect readings. A 4 degree delta from ambient can be a catastrophic event in some applications.