Shower Drain Dam

Water in a shower pan is not “unnatural.” A slow leak could be going on that would be revealed to your client when they get a slow drain condition during a hair clog. Bottom line is a shower pan is supposed to be constructed for the purpose of holding water. If it doesn’t, it’s not the inspector’s fault.

If what you say is true why is there a need for you to lie ?

FYI. I do not specify in my reports how the leak was discovered

It’s not a lie, Bob, and I’m offended by being called a liar. Do you feel the need to specify the method you used to find every defect in your reports?

This is a never ending debate. I’m done here. Ya’ll have fun.

Seller: “I use that shower every morning. In fact, I used it this morning. It has never leaked, before.”

Inspector: “Aha … but have you ever showered with a plug in the drain and filling the basin to 1 1/2 to 2 inches?”

Seller: “Uh … no. I use a plug to fill the tub when I want to take a bath … but when I shower, I leave the drain open like every person with at least one active brain cell will do. Why? Did you plug up my drain?”

Inspector: “Let’s discuss that after while. Right now I am in the middle of flooding your basement to see that the sump pump can keep up with it. We might need to hit that carpet with a wet vac, later…”

Seller: “When you are finished with this inspection … will there be a short yellow school bus coming over to pick you up?”

Inspector: “Not this time. I drove myself. Shall we test this shower door to see if it is REALLY tempered glass? Hand me my hammer, please…”

Yes I do actually.
The fact you hide how you perform the testing tells me you know you should not be doing it.

I would most certainly use it against you in a court suit if you damaged my property.

When testing the pressure sensor on a garage door if it crushes the door do you think it is not your fault, should it happen?

What is the industry standard for how high you overfill the drain pan by the way?

David,
The mentioned dam in not 4" deep. I have the exact one I linked to, and it is 2" deep. Most showers I have been in, typically collect 2" of water in them during the course of an average shower.

Those of you panicking from two inches of water in a shower pan, better bump up your insurance, or beef up your savings, because when more of these vacant foreclosures hit the market with no moisture evident at the walls or ceilings, you’re gonne need it.

Not when they contract with their client to perform an inspection in compliance with the SOP, they don’t. See Section 2.6, Part II, Section I.

However, those who do not comply with the SOP and … instead … test the shower pan up to the top of their shower dam had better hope that when the weight of their client is added to the shower and the water reaches a level of 2.25 inches and leaks … that their insurer will cover them.

Not when they contract to perform an inspection in compliance with the SOP, they don’t. See Section 2.6, Section II, Item “I”. This provides the seller with even more leverage when he holds an inspector accountable for damages to his property when the open drain to his shower is intentionally impeded to see what damages might occur below it.

However, those who do not comply with the SOP and … instead … test the shower pan up to the top of their shower dam had better hope that when the weight of their client is added to the shower and the water reaches a level of 2.25 inches and leaks … that their insurer will cover them since the SOP won’t.

Why would someone unnecessarily risk damaging someone else’s home by blocking the free flowing shower drain to see if it damaged the living space below it … But not open up a water valve that was turned off? Neither fall within the scope of a home inspection.

Jeff if I use your logic what prevents me from turning the main shutoff valve???

Bob… there is nothing that prevents you from doing anything, except your own personal business decisions. Even the Nachi SOP does not prevent you from doing anything. It only states that you are not required to do something. Nowhere does it state that you are “forbidden” from doing what you decide is a proper business decision for your business.

What you say is true however I wish to guide the new guys from making a major mistake.

I understand that Bob, and do not wish for a new guy to “make a mistake” either, but this is one situation where thay will need to make a decision on their own, as you do not truely know which decision is a “mistake”. You can only offer your “opinion” as to what a “mistake” is. Capiche’?

Capiche and they need to know both sides of it.
The obvious answer is to get a IR camera.:slight_smile:

Will post a picture from last week of a leaky shower over a kitchen soon as I get a chance here later today.

I see it is a slow day. The old “flood the shower” conundrum always generates the most interesting remarks and opinions. I will throw a twist on it for a change. What if you find a shower pan that does not leak when you run water into it as described but does leak when someone is standing inside and it leaks (discovered AFTER the inspection and closing)?

Since you asked.

Exactly why I immediately throw out the “Bushart Theory” of the extra weight of the “10 gallons of water” in the pan. That ain’t squat compared to an adult human male. I have personally tested showers that when weight was applied, the pan seperated fron the drain. Wasn’t much, but was enough to cause a leak. And no, the extra weight of the water in the pan “did not” add enough weight to open the leak.

Somebody is using their critical thinking skills…be careful. That scares the **** out of some people. ;>)

Where are you quoting me from? I never said that.

I always stand in the shower pan and look at the drain to see if there is movement.