Shower enclosure built infront of window

And the results of Larry’s Rorschach test are in:

:smiley: :smile:

1 Like

:laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

LOL… I did that on my last house but it was over a sink instead of a tub/shower. With the window and then the light bar, the mirror topped out at about 5’ 6". It was built for people 5’ tall. At 6’4" it was quite an annoyance before I remodeled. I just put some insulation in the cavity and covered it with drywall. The buyers never said anything when we sold. I now realize I forgot to put it on my disclosure. Not that there was any known problem but as an inspector I tend to over-disclose when selling.

Not the nicest look from the outside. But that doesn’t matter. When a shower enclosure is used as part of a renovation there is always the possibility of hidden damage. Windows in the shower increase the chances that there was and possibility still is water damage. I always note that the posability of hidden damage.

what does matter is the moldy mess that is most likely going on behind that back panel and what it is doing to the exterior wall framing…

3 Likes

How long do you think it took to do this. Condensed moisture can do a lot of damage.

3 Likes

I’ve covered up several window openings in several houses over the years, but I’ve never left the window in place. I remove them, insulate the cavities, and treat the area as a normal exterior area with siding or other cladding/veneer.

2 Likes

and that would be the proper way to do it…

2 Likes

The opportunity to make proper repairs can be done from the exterior without disturbing the interior.

2 Likes