Shower Pan Testing

As a HI Shower pan testing is not required. Now as a bulding Inspector I Inspect new homes and as they are being built i can see the pan or tub and check if it has any leaks. I also check the pressure test. The photo of the tub is cool but, was it found to be a leak from the seal or was it water sitting at the base from someone taking a bath that morning?? I see alot of inspectors doing more of a code inspection rather then a Home Inspection. Leave the Code inspection up to the code officials.

I beg to differ inspecting shower pans for leakage has nothing to do with codes. There are no codes that state the shower pan must not leak, codes have to do with the installation procedure leakage is a common sense given thou shalt not leak. Just because something is not required does not mean one can not perform a test. I have a tremendous amount of homes built in the early 70"s with lead pans and given the test of time they all leak approximately 30 to 35 years in age if someone has not re-tiled and kept ahead of the maint. BTW I just luv inspecting behind inspectors that only do what is required makes me shine like a diamond in a goats butt:D:D

John,

Custom shower pans are just that, where a tile installer does one from scratch.
As a small builder, I do my own shower pans among many other things.
I do not readily have any pictures to show you however you can easily do a google search and see how they are suppose to be done.

Robert,

I have heard many code officials state the same thing you are putting forth however the problem is that many code officials are missing things which later often bite the home inspector in the butt.

I can only speak toward NC SOP’s but it does state in our code (1116 (b)) the following: Opinions expressed by licensees shall only be based on their education, experience, and honest convictions.

When an inspector holds additional license, be it electrical, hvac, general, etc., as well as any additional training and experience they may have in regards to the building trade, if they fail to disclose such information which may be relevant then woe unto them if it comes back and bites them in the butt.

I just had a long discussion with a code official this morning about flashing details or lack thereof on a home I inspected. While they may feel that the builder did what was required of him, I can show that what he did (or did not) was going to have a significant negative impact on the home to the detriment of my client.

I documented my findings, whether a builder, previous homeowner or code official disagrees with me is not my concern…as long as I can back up my statements based upon my education, experience and honest convictions…I am in the clear.

regards

Jeff

We test shower pans and often find them leaking into an adjoining closet or room. The SOPs are a minimum standard. Kind of like building codes, they are the minimum, anything less would be illegal. I don’t think there is nothing is wrong with exceeding industry standards SOPs. It has saved me numerous times and we market that our services exceed industry standards.