Single shared neutral on a sub panel

23 years of remodeling and the last 8 doing inspections as well and this is the first time ever coming across this. The main panel is attached on the right, but only a single shared neutral serving the sub panel. This house has sold 4 times in the last 6 years. Gut instinct says this is wrong but I’m not sure even where to start, but it obviously made it through the other 4 times. House was built in 68. 200 amp main panel.

Ground via the short metal nipple between the two panels, do you have zoomed out picture of both panels? but where are the EGCs for the circuits.

Looks like those circuits were moved to the sub from the panel to the right and those associated neutrals were left in the other panel. The one neutral is from a cable that enters the sub-panel. Might have done the same with the EGC’s.

1 Like

It is.

I see multiple issues however I am only going to address this one:

300.3 Conductors.
(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of
the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor
and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors
shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary
gutter, cable tray, cable bus assembly, trench, cable, or
cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with
300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).

1 Like

Thank you Mr Parks. I suspect this was the original service panel for the home and was made the sub panel when they installed a 200 amp panel. I had already noted the other items such as mismatched breakers, only supported by the main panel can and not attached to the wall in any way an a couple of other items along with the deficiencies on the main panel. Many of the problems in Columbia are the city utility will come in behind me and say all of this is fine. Being the AHJ, they win, but I still report what I see.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter who wins. I lose a lot.

You are welcome.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :grinning:

1 Like

Double termination lugging.
Call it out.