Sistering roof rafters to increase space for insulation

Exactly. A leak will rott the wood. If there is a closed cell foam underneath it may prevent the water from entering the house but consider that the wood is there to provide support to a very heavy roof covering. In all likely hood your fisrt indication that there is a roof leak will be when a slate tile slides off the roof because the wood around its attachement is rotted.

Per, excuse me but I for one take exception to your comment that contractors do not care about their clients, you sir are very wrong!!!

I will admit there does exist unscrupulous contractors but I doubt you will find any on this message board.

As far as American building practices goes you should do more research before you post, or perhaps read the entire thread before you speak. This conversation has been going on for a while and we established that this house was built in the early 1900s, so being familiar with this type of construction more than likely you cannot install proper /ridge vents.

Spray foam is a proven product and as I have said before this project needs a professional to sort out all the details. Many here are only speculation on something we can’t even see.

Food for thought!!