Slow times in Texas

Is everyone as slow as I am in west Texas
This is the slowest month I’ve ever had
In 8 years

1 Like

Elections have consequences. November 7 is coming.

5 Likes

You’re in oil and gas country, the same one that OBiden and Company are trying to destroy. Why would anyone move there?

1 Like

Here in NE Ohio I have seen some decline, but not unusual for this time of year.

1 Like

Florida is busy as usual. We have not seen a slow down here. We are inspecting more new homes that we usually do.

2 Likes

We’re down +/- 20% from last year here in Oregon. Keeping in mind that last year was nothing great and was down from the previous year due to a severe lack of inventory and people skipping inspections. Tough times are upon us all for sure. With rates going up the way they are people are unwilling or unable to buy.

Unfortunately, these slowdowns are just part of this biz but that doesn’t make them any easier when they happen. I’m actually encouraged that we haven’t totally fallen off a cliff like in 2009… yet anyway.

2 Likes

SUPER Slow in Central Oregon. But I’m getting a lot done on our house so that’s a bonus

2 Likes

Yeah, I think most of us are seeing a slow down. I can’t say it’s a bad year, but still slower.

1 Like

Central Oregon got killed in the 2009 meltdown. The building frenzy and speculative buying there was crazy. After every REA, mortgage broker, builder and contractor bought a house they all just kind of looked one another wondering what was next. The recession really killed tourism which is about all they had/have. My oldest lives in Bend and the city seems to have recovered nicely. It’s a great place since they really have two tourist seasons that blend into one another (skiing in the winter, hiking, biking, etc. in the summer for those not familiar with the area). Given the tourist dependence and so many vacation properties I think these downturns will always be felt worse there.

1 Like

Because they lived in California?

Wait till the Fed raises interest rates to counter the inflation.

Responses above. Going to be very interesting over the next 12 months.

2 Likes

I remember when the rates were even higher, but then the CDs, etc. were 11 - 14%. That was nice. Yes, the first homes we built for ourselves back in those days are now selling at least 1000% more than those two. Unfortunately, we were never able to partake in any of that at all. However, doing it on our own, or maybe with a 10% land note kept us out of debt. Commercial seems to have slowed a lot. Residential seems to have picked up a little bit. Commercial CPM has picked up.

Maryland is a unique market, because all the government , DOD, Healthcare economic activity. Despite the fact this time of the year things get :cold_face: colder… I went out this weekend to introduce myself to 15 (Sat) + 14 (Sun) = 29 Realtors on active open houses within a <10 mile radius of my house on their tight showing schedule (10AM ~ 3PM). They sound optimistic. I got TWO (2) actual gigs for this week from those interactions. Brand new relationships!!

I am surprise with the news from Texas. You must stay optimistic… All those immigrants will soon need a house…!! :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Very slow SE South Dakota also, they are still waiving inspections up here. I get 3 in a week, thinking it’s going to improve, then the next week nothing. Stinks.

2 Likes

That’s a great rate of return. Nice job… you must present well. I tried a bit of open house visiting during the 2009 slowdown and once literally ran into another HI at the same house doing the same thing… LOL. Yeah, it was a popular idea and agents quickly got tired of it.

The old saying about all things real estate being local definitely holds true with HIs. I’m in two markets (Portland, OR & Maui) and have a MUCH easier time chasing down jobs in Maui. There just aren’t that many inspectors on the island and, from what I am learning, most would rather surf than answer their phones. Oregon is just totally oversaturated.

I’d imagine in all these slow markets the established companies will prevail if they tighten their belts and cut some costs. Might even half to pick up some side work. New companies or people without savings will fail. I laid off my office person and split time on the phones with my lead inspector. The last time I spent any time on the phones was +/- 10 years ago, before things like ISN and it’s so much easier now. Most calls just take 30 seconds to agree on a time and everything ele is done via email, etc.

I have two companies which serve two totally different markets here in Arizona. The rural county was HOT in August, slowed in Sept, and fell off a cliff in Oct. The suburban and urban county decreased in August, a little more in Sept, and Oct. Not a clue what will happen next.

1 Like

My threads are already old on the subject here but yes it is slow here in Arizona as well it’s like someone turned off a faucet

1 Like

Matt, here is what I take from your posting…

Yeah! Open House events are full of uncertainty for Home Inspectors. Most established professional home inspectors don’t go out looking for new business leads (Realtors). My take is… I do not rely on “My Realtors” selling or promoting my business (‘third party word of mouth!). That may work occasionally. When I walk into an open house, I pop a smile of confidence and introduce myself briefly, my goal is to get my face in front of as many Realtors as possible in one day or a few hours (<5). Then I follow up with an email or a call later into the week. I add their email to my laptop email database and hit them with a digital newsletter or flier every month from there on (it takes only a CLIC to do so…!). I offer them bilingual walkthroughs and inspection reports if their clients are Hispanic, nobody does that in this territory. I volunteer participation in first time buyer seminars/webinars with their brokers with delivery of positive reinforcement of home inspection knowledge (never scary hallowing stories of hunted houses :jack_o_lantern:).

My Home Inspection market is never slow. If I am not doing inspections, I am promoting and marketing my services. I am always busy…! Yeah…! Only the actual inspections increase my cash flow, but nobody is going to come looking for me at my home office. I make sure I get my face in front of them, realtors. You never know, this past Saturday Mike passed away…! Told me a high end top sales realtor when I walked into her $1.2 Million property open house in East Timonium, Maryland. and she added… “I am looking for a new home inspector to replace him…! and your proactiveness fits the desire profile”, she said…!

2 Likes

Sudden drop-off 2 weeks ago for me in Northern Colorado. 3-4 calls a day to crickets.

2 Likes

Stolen Selections have catastrophic consequences. Hence where we are right now.