Slowing me down

Originally Posted By: nstone
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am a relatively new inspector (first year). How do you handle the “know it all buyer” who attends the inspection and wants you to notate every little thing wrong with a house? Just had my first yesterday and the inspection took nearly 4 hours on a 1900 sq ft home! icon_cry.gif

Thanks,

Neal

“An Eagle’s EYE means

a Better Buy”

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Neal,

Sounds like your client does not really know what matters in a home inspection, you should print and have available copies of this ... http://www.nachi.org/what_really_matters.htm better yet, memorize it and be able to explain that this is the right recipe for a successful home inspection to anyone you should meet.

Joe In-the-know Burkeson

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: mrose

Expectation management is your outlining to your client what you can and cannot do. This is also the time for you to ask the client what he expects from you.

Try this and it should help streamline the process.

Best regards,

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Give him some things to do during the inspection, like handing him a tape measure and some paper, telling him it would be really helpful if he could tape out the rooms … which he may want to have anyway. He may end up spending an hour doing floor plans, which you of course will be very impressed with … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Neal,

You should be spending 3 to 4 hours on an inspection if you are performing them by yourself. I know that many inspectors will rush the inspection so they can get three or four in a day but in terms of the quality of the inspection, they also miss a lot.

You should start out with quality and move on to quantity later once you have established your inspection methods.

On the the question of how I handle those clients, I simply inform them I am not there for the things they can see, the cracks, fresh paint, new carpet, I spend most of my time looking for the things they can not see. I state that I spend most of my time on the major components which are most likely to cost them the most money. I also add that if they want, I can include those types of things in the report but they will not be listed as defects but they can be referenced so they know what has to be done to the home from a financial planning aspect. So far, all have declined.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Neal I think we have all had a client that followed us around asking way to many questions and pointing out items before we could. I agree that it can make for a long Inspection. Personally I like it when the Realtor ,Buyer, Sellers or anybody else that wants to attend is present. Gives you a chance to show off what you know and if they are impressed they will use you the next time they need a Inspection.

Thanks for all your comments…I enjoyed reading them all and have noted how I will handle mister know it all in the future. It’s amazing, a guy know has done a little tixing up of his home and it makes him an expert in every field.

I kept wanting to ask this fella if he knows so much about homes, why not inspect them yourself…but I didn’t.

Thanks,
Neal ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
"An Eagle's EYE means
a Better Buy"

Originally Posted By: Charles Hopkins

I just wanted to ask you … How will you handle the next one that is like that ?

charles

Originally Posted By: kpapp

Hi Charles, that one is easy. You handle it professionally and answer that persons questions to the best of your ability. Remember it is that person that is paying you with his hard earned cash. Just my 3 cents worth icon_cool.gif

Ken Papp
Discovery Home Inspections

--

Originally Posted By: randerson

It’s not the clients that bother me. It’s the friends or family members who shouldn’t be there in the first place following us around playing “beat the inspector” who get my goat.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

R Scott,

That scenerio is easy to indetify with, I have had that happen on many occasions. The next time it happens instead of getting annoyed, try making the feel like they are helping. Offer them a job, offer to help them join the association, offer to pay them if they help you with your next job, just don't get mad and frustrated because mostly they are just trying to help! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
The next time it happens instead of getting annoyed, try making the feel like they are helping

Especially when they are a tradesman. Use their knowledge, and pick their brain! Find out what the local AHJ is looking for on their jobs.

And, joke with them when they find something. Ask them how they want to word that in the report

Charles,

At the beginning of the inspection I will show him the Inspection Report that I use and ensure he knows that it is a visual inspection and what that means and covers to him. I will also ask him to help out and keep him busy with odd items so that I can move on. I will also tell him that I plan to spend more time on the major systems that could be an expense later on. I plan to keep a copy of "What really matters" with me too.
Thanks,

Neal ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
"An Eagle's EYE means
a Better Buy"