Smartside Trim at Rake with No Drip Edge

I’ve been seeing a lot more new construction homes that utilize Smartside siding and trim. My question is about the installation of the trim along the rake. All of these installations have a 1x2 piece of Smartside trim along the rake with no drip edge, which is required in the IRC. I spoke with a builder yesterday and he said that he never uses drip edge at the rakes when using the Smartside products. I’m torn as to whether I need to include the missing drip edge on my report or not. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Anyone not installing ANY LP product without following the Manufacturers installation instructions is an IDIOT!!
LP has a long history of siding/trim issues. I write it up HARD whenever I run across it, (being careful with my words to not bring undue liability to my company).
Look hard enough, and you will usually always find an issue somewhere with it.

3 Likes

Drip edge flashing does more than protect the fascia. It also protects the leading edge of the roof sheathing as well closes up holes and gaps animals/rodents use to enter the attic space. I always call it out where missing.

3 Likes

Welcome back to our forum, Terry!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

Did he explain why?

Why else… $$$$

1 Like

Yes, he said that the product is waterproof and doesn’t need drip edge.

One of the videos says to make sure to use Z flashing above all horizontal trim and band board, though.

The “Trim and Fascia” one has pics with drip edge on them.

2 Likes

If it was waterproof, then you would not need to prime cut edges or caulk nail holes.

I had a builder tell me cement fiber siding could be in the ground for similar reasons. He was WRONG.

From @lkage install instructions:
“• A non-corrosive drip-edge must be applied at bottom edge of roofing where it meets the fascia. (See diagrams 2c and 9c)”

1 Like

Thanks. It sounds like he doesn’t understand the overall purpose of a drip edge.

Nor the overall purpose of quality building!

The product is not waterproof. However, it is a great product when installed properly. They have come a long way since the old class-action days. All cut edges need to be sealed with a high quality paint. Proper clearances need to be maintained over roof surfaces and the ground. But the biggest thing is getting the bottom edge of all pieces coated with a high quality paint. My installation on my own home is going on 20 years and looks like new. We painted it after installation and repainted 2 years ago when we wanted to change the color. I have zero indications of rot thus far.

2 Likes