Smoke Alarm Inspection. Please proof this new inspection article.

Smoke Alarm Inspection.

I like it. The green circle in the kitchen confuses me though, what does it represent?

Also, this site has some more good info, especially pertaining to homeowners who have young children (most of today’s homebuyers)

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/campaigns/usfaparents/alarms/

Location is normally dictated by NFPA 72.

The green may be a heat detector.

Jeff

The green is actually a photoelectric smoke alarm. The others are ionization. The pic is confusing so I removed it.

Nick,

There is no reference about the evolution of smoke detector placement. Many older homes were only required to have one detector in the hallway. As the years went buy, the requirements increased.

Also, when certain dollar thresholds were exceeded, the most current requirements in place had to be met. I out together a short table on our blog at http://sdinspections.com/smoke-detector-requirements

Please feel free to verify that info. I do think it is important to note. Just like GFCI receptacles, it is not always required to bring a house up to today’s requirements.

Ok, I made a bullet for that.

Regardless, it’s safer to bring a house up to today’s requirements

Nice article Rob…

Why this part though?

Some Condos have smoke detectors linked to Fire panels,which auto dial Fire Dept.'s, make sure to ask building management first before testing.

One small change:

“Parents should stage periodic nightly fire drills”

Should this say “periodic nightime fire drills”?

Don’t install smoke alarms near windows, doors, or ducts where drafts might interfere with their operation.

Requirements for smoke detector locations vary according to jurisdiction and the age of the home. What standard should home inspectors go by in making recommendations?

I agree, and why “periodic”? The kids just need to know how to get out of the house if there’s a fire. How often do you need to do that kind of thing? It’s more important to give upper floor bedrooms a means of escape than rehearse.

Yes, you’re right.