Smoker House-Do you put it in the report?

Okay guys, I was trying to find another forum on this… there was a few of them, but dated…
I just got done with an inspection, and the home was smoked in for over 30 years. Does anyone else write these things up? I know that it is costly, and sometimes almost impossible to get the smell of smoke out of a house, some people just don’t realize it…
-Nate Houlihan

I did, in case they couldn’t smell. And you are right, it can be very hard, if not impossible, to remove the odor.

3 Likes

I write up offensive odors. Pet odors, musky odors and smoke. I believe it falls into this category.

A material defect is a specific issue with a system or component of a residential property that may have a significant, adverse impact on the value of the property, or that poses an unreasonable risk to people.

3 Likes

Falls under the category of Indoor Air Quality

4 Likes

Yep, I do the same as Larry and Brian.

1 Like

I’ve inspected houses with cigarette tar dripping down the walls and call it out as a potential heath hazard.

But nothing 4 heavy coats of Kilz and new carpet can’t fix. :mask:

4 Likes

I thought you were talking about a structure to smoke meat! But yes, I report on stenches like smoking and animal urine etc.

4 Likes