SO, what alphabet letter trap is this?

It’s a “Nein” Trap!!

3 Likes

It is pretty remarkable that traps have been around for hundreds of years and no one has ever come up with anything better (not that it’s needed - traps work great). I guess trying to keep the smell of crap out of your cave is quite motivating!

1 Like

Maybe nix trap

Not needed if done properly
Need is the mother of inventions

2 Likes

“S” Trap. Illegal and simply wrong.

So who’s going to prison, and who’s gonna send 'em there??

7 Likes

I do a lot of older homes and see s traps all the time. Had them in the house I grew up in. Worked fine for years. All you can do is report why they are no longer used. Don’t expect much, it’s not a simple fix.

3 Likes

replacing a S trap with a P trap

Sorry, hit send before adding the question, is this a proper fix? Seems easy enough, but maybe too easy.

Just going to JAIL as it’s only a misdemeanor

3 Likes

Sometimes I wonder why in the world do I get on this forum… are y’all flipping stupid?
If looks like an S trap does smells like an S trap. It’s a flip in s trap…
For the idiots Among Us.
I’m sorry to insult your intelligence. Really! Not!

1 Like

Roy some new inspectors may have never seen an S-trap before after all it’s a relic installation.

2 Likes

That is and was the intention!

You nailed it on the head. Then wake up and don’t be stupid.

Should be able to install a AAV valve if your area allows them.

3 Likes

S traps are discussed in every home inspector course I’m aware of. Looking for and identifying improper traps other drain pipe issues should be automatic for any trained inspector.

Agreed however somebody who is just learning may not be fully trained. Lashing out at the members for such a trivial question speaks volumes about ones character.

4 Likes

Agree, but there are several different styles or configurations of S-traps and this one is not the usual configuration that i would normally see. This post was for any and all to maybe learn what they were looking at.

2 Likes

@mwilles would you consider this an S trap ?

1 Like

I am going to bet a $1.00 he says it is not and s-trap…we’ll see :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like