Software

quote=pabernathy]Is anyone else using ITA’s Matrix Report system
for PC laptops or Tablets. I have been playing with it and like it.<br>

I’ve been playing around with ITA’s Matrix DEmo for a while now,
the other day I went to ITA’s Website and found they have a new Program
called “InspectNow”, Pocket PC and Tablet capable and it now includes PDF
capability, Code Check references, and much better photo insertion ability.
Looks pretty good, but also has reached the $995 price range.
http://www.home-inspect.com/inspectnow/index.asp

Has anyone had any experience using Best Instors XL Pro software?
The new XL Pro 2006 Platinum looks interesting.
http://www.bestinspectors.com/products-reports.htm

Microsoft Word will do it all, better than any…learn macros. Word beats them all!

I can agree with that generally.

However, in a more specific term, one has to initially write all the verbiage for Word and put it in with macros, autocorrect, or whatever. One typically doesn’t have to do that with the home inspection software. So if one needs to get up and running quickly, home inspection software probably is the way to go. If one has VRS, can type 100 WPM for several hours a day, and understands all the ins and outs of Word, one can definitely create a very nice reporting system.

I still use Word for Section 3 and Section 4 of my reports and then have Word create PDF files for me, which are then copied to my Interactive Report System CD, along with all the PowerPoint presentations.

Start with a Word based Inspection progam… Inspect Express from Dewave I believe…

I was using AHIT’s software and was very pleased with it. Then I discovered InspectVue and I am a convert. It is much more resiliant to customizing than AHIT although you do have to spend more time customizing. The thing I really like is every time you put something into a report it asks you if you would like to add it to the master library. You can add librarys at any time which make it great to add things like Phase inspection reports and keep all that in a seperate library. This way you don’t have to keep adding sections to your main report sections. I am sold on it and the more I play the better I like it.
Larry

Homeguage, Homegauge, Homeguage. You can’t beat it for the money. You can lease it if you do not want to buy right now. You can customize it w/ your own logos and such. 4 styles to choose from, plus a condo report and commericial property report. It’s by far the best. Unless you are working in my area, then I’d recommend wax paper and crayons. :slight_smile:

Shane

I collected demo copies of all available systems at last years NACHI convention, brought them back to the office and inputted data from an actual inspection. Since I am a computer user, not a computer expert, I looked for intuitive operation, ease of customization, time consumption / cost to prepare report, ability to insert and highlight details (arrows, circles etc) pictures, combination of checklist and narrative, and “built in boilerplate” (enough of it or does it overwhelm the client?) and had several people critique each from the point of view of a client. Additionally had both my lawyer and some friends in the real estate profession check them out. Also, I evaluated cost, payment plans, service, available training, support and variety of templates since I do single family, duplex, investment property, condos, motels and small business. Hands down, the overall choice for both myself, the client, realtors and the lawyer was, by far, HOMEGAUGE.

I did the exact same thing, except that I acquired them from various sources since I didn’t go to the convention.

Homegauge came in second here, close behind InspectVue. It’s probably an East Coast/West Coast, New York/California difference.

Of course, being a franchise, I can’t use either of them anyway since we have our own software, which I use to export the report to my Interactive Report System.

Tom, How long have you been using Homegauge?
Do you use a tablet pc in the field?
If so, do yo find it awkward to use in tight spaces (attic, underfloor crawlspace)? and/or
When you are doing the exterior inspection in the rain?
Any comments you could give are greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Russell, I too am impressed by Inspectvue. I was wondering what key factors impressed you and were determining factors in putting Inspectvue in 1st positon in front of Homegauge?
Any comments you could give are greatly appreciated as well. :slight_smile:

Thanks to all for any input you can give.

Jon

Tight spaces? Attic? Underfloor crawlspace? Rain? What kind of an organization is this?

First and foremost, I’m always looking for the best verbiage out of the box. I think InspectVue’s attorneys and my attorneys were reading the same court cases because our verbiage is similar. If I had found InspectVue in 2001 instead of 2002, I might have asked my corporate office if I could use it instead of our HomeTeam software. I think it’s that good.

Second, I don’t have a lot of patience for learning something new if I need it immediately to help me make a living. I needed my report-writing software immediately, so I resorted to Word, which I am an expert at since I’ve been using it since Word 1.0 for DOS that I got back in 1983 or so. As a further example, I’m currently creating an e-commerce site. I don’t need the e-commerce site right now to make a living, so I’m creating it myself, learning, etc., as I go along. I found InspectVue immensely easy to use right out of the box. And working with pictures in InspectVue was simply a joy, and I don’t say that about too many programs of any type when it comes to working with pictures.

Third, the Porter Valley Software people pay me $99,999 (the Power of Nines) annually to act as a salesperson for their company. That money paid for my plane and helicopter so that I could get started doing fly-by inspections. :mrgreen:

I have been playing with HG also…and I also played with many others including PValley…for some reason HG has seemed easier to get used to…in an earlier post rray mentioned different learning styles…and I agree, my learning style may be different than some others.

If PV software is reading this…another great thing about HG…on their website they have videos of the owner(?)of HG demonstrating the software…I am still watching them there are so many! Some of them are even narrated by the teacher…some are just video tours…but they are excellent. He even does a mock inspection and explains how he uses the software and the tablet pc during the inspection.

I will play w/ inspecvue a bit more because I value rrays opinions…

Another great thing for HGauge is that they allow you to lease the software…and free updates…free support etc…I’m not saying InspectVue DOESN’T do that because I’m not sure…but HG does.

I also like the narrators accent as I spent some time in NC and it makes me feel at home :wink:

T

One other things that I forgot to mention was that InspectVue had been specifically designed to work on PDAs and to work seamlessly with multiple inspectors. Both of those facts were/are important to me.

Russell, I appreciate your comments and input here and all throughout the forum. Thank you very much.

I am confused by your comment above… I thought it was a reasonable question…
Is using a tablet-pc too awkward? Or is a pocket-pc too small to effectively use?.. just a few thoughts that I have…

Obivously, I am new to the inspection business… not new to inspecting… just the business of inspection. I have been an hands-on custom home builder & remodeler for 26 years during which the inspection process has become very familiar. Believe me… I have seen it all… or at least… almost all. Anyway… I am just looking for insight and suggestions before making a large purchase in the software I decide to use.

Russell,

Is your software for sale? I’d like to see a copy. Sounds like a great system.

Joe

3d :slight_smile:

Home Guide from Inspection Depot is awesome. A report takes about 20 minutes to complete from my notes–or 2 minutes from my pc tablet. I’ve tried most other software vendors, and have not found any that are this user friendly, that the customers and realtors like. Everyone really likes our reports, and they’re easy and quick for me.

I tried other software, and always showed the different reports to random realtors prior to consideration of changing. Home Guide was the first one they all said they liked without significant changes, and they haven’t liked anything else since.

My 2 cents worth…

Hoemguage is great, good support and everyone loves the report upload, I cant remember the last time I printed a report everyone prefers e-mail.