Solar Panel Techs VS. Sill Plate

Just came home from dinner at my in-laws place, I thought you guys might like to see what their solar panel install techs did to the sill plate of their home.

So, they drilled in through the brick veneer and the sill plate. Then they cut and completely removed a ~5" section of the sill plate. The brick veneer has not been sealed at all and it’s placed directly next to a gutter downspout. As an added bonus they mounted conduit c-clamps with screws directly through the gusset plates.

I was unaware of this until it came up over dinner, but this is just the latest in a long series of problems this company has caused. From what I understand, this portion of the install is “done.” They were coming back to mount the solar panels and connect them to the control box on the exterior, that’s it. Ha, speaking of, they also mounted the control panel in a totally different location than originally agreed upon.

I could ramble on about the long list of other items, just thought I’d share this!

1 Like

They could have moved up 4 inches and punched right thru. Crazy.

3 Likes

Lack of planning and experience, someone should keep an eye on them in the next phase of installation.

4 Likes

There are hacks in EVERY industry…

3 Likes

Oh it’s even worse if you know the backstory. :sweat_smile:

Per their agreement with the sales team, the control panel and junction boxes were originally supposed to be installed to the left of the electric meter. The install techs changed the location without informing the homeowners. There’s no brick veneer to drill through in the original location.

Just a guess, but I’d bet they changed the location just so they wouldn’t have to work around the bush. :sweat_smile:

There are more items for anyone curious about this saga of incompetence:

• The panels were originally going to be installed on a barn a short walk from the main home. Per the sales team the panels can not be more than 300’ away from the inverter/battery system. The sales team measured the distance to the barn at 295’. The team in charge of digging a trench for the wires didn’t want to go through a wooded area, so they routed around for a 450’ cable run.

• The solar panels haven’t been installed because the original planned location will not work; the only acceptable location (per the techs) is one that’s in the shade half the day.

• The system has not been completed yet but the install company has informed them there’s a problem with the battery pack. However, the homeowners will have to contact the manufacturer for service. As a note, they didn’t choose their own components. This is a company that was contracted to install a complete system.

1 Like

At the very least the notched sill plates should have been reinforced with a rigid steel strap or plate and the opening flashed and made water tight, rodent/vermin/insect proof. They literally punctured/penetrated the envelope without a second thought.
Notching is secondary. You can see a sill plate anchor strap to the left.
I can not see any adverse structural affects arise in the future due to the sill plate being notched that way if the sill plates and framing members were properly installed. Envelope water/weather infiltration yes.

1 Like

That’s what I told them almost verbatim. Their primary concern is this coming back to bite them on an inspection report if/when they decide to sell the house.

Right now they’re pushing the company to fix these issues before moving forward with the project.

Mice will love their new home.

3 Likes

Hopefully they have a clearly defined scope of work and design plans agreed upon by all parties involved. If not, it will get smelly.

Winter is coming. Be kind to vermin.

You are always asking us to be kind to you!
Boxing

1 Like

Bob, I ask for respect and professionalism. Sorry for any miscommunications.

1 Like