Someone please help this victim. She is desperate.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Dear NACHI members:

My name is Jill Meese. I am at then end of my rope and this is where it brought me. I am not sure if you could help me or give me some guidance with my problem, but I thought it was worth a try. My family and I just bought a house in August in Schaumburg, Illinois. We had a home inspection and did everything by the book. When we took possession of the house, I came here and couldn't get any of the downstairs windows open. I talked with my husband over the phone and he just assumed they were painted shut. The next day comes, and he comes here and tries to get them open with no luck. Of all the 32 windows, we could open maybe 2-3.
Within a couple days, he managed to pry one open with a sledge hammer! When he did get this one open, the bottom of the sill came up with it! We were stunned. He went to the outside and pressed on the outside sill and his fist went through it! We didn't know what to do so we called our realtor. He wasn't much help so we contacted the home inspector himself. He came over to take a look. He seemed to be stunned also and didn't know what to say. He apologized, said it was something he should have caught and he would send it to his insurance.
Since then, it has been a battle of the lawyers! We ended up replacing all of the windows because we needed to be able to open them, and it was a fire hazard! It cost us $22,000 that we didn't have. If we had known this, we would not have bought the house. Our lawyer is telling us it is a lost cause. His insurance offered us $1000 compensation. I am just wanting some advice. I am sick that this happened. Why is he liscensed and insured if when something happens the homeowners cannot be compensated? We took pictures of all the damage. When my husband was laying the wood floors in our family room, he had to take out the sliding glass door and part of the subflooring due to water damage. It was apparent in the crawl space, but the inspector never went in that crawl space. He did note that one sill, in my son's room, was slightly damaged, and that was it.
I am wondering if you have ever seen anything like this. Am I crazy for wanting to get my money back? Is this something I should persue? Do I need to find another lawyer? Let me know if there is anything you can do to help me out here.

Thank you for your time,

Jill Meese
847-895-1227

Originally Posted By: dvalley

How can a licensed Home Inspector do a complete Home Inspection without opening a single window?

Someone should get a status on this Inspection!![](upload://3mlczL8nLtRlwHiwEp4fX0rHRWa.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I am amazed that you could get through an inspection with opening no windows. I plan on calling later today to find out some more information.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: Dan Musielski

Jill…that sounds awful!

Jill...just a couple things. As of 2003 all inspectors in Illinois need to be licensed by OBRE (Office of Banks and Real estate). www.obre.state.il.us/realest/HomeInspect.htm. However, there are people running around without the proper paper work. His name should be listed on Illinois website. I would also contact the OBRE.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Any of our Illinois members close enough to swing by and give some guidance to this lady? Perhaps Joe Ferry could look over the inspection agreement she signed. I would also ask the Illinois liccensing bureau (or whomever controls licensing, including the Illinois Department of State) to intervene.

Was this inspector a full member of another association?

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

If anyone visits them, take some pics please.

Nick

Originally Posted By: cradan

, to see how we can be of assistance.

Regards,

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Gary,

What did you come up with, from your conversation with Jill?![](upload://aknpuDfhccrZKRyjQTQQ4l0sais.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

I tried to contact Ms Meese several times with no response, I Was goin gto try and contact her again today

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Sounds odd at the least that this would be target posted on this site. Alowing that I have many other questions.

Does the state require a “sellers disclosure”?

What does the agreement of sale refer to as defects and opperation?

Does the town have a u&O?

Why are we involved if she has layers and if she feels she needs a new one or maybe she should call the bar directly.

I find it hard to believe that no on checked the windows previous to that sale…/.It posssssiblllllly could happen but next time try unlocking them?

I do have a hard time with the expense of 22K for 32 windows.

Average perlacement windows are around 400 to 500 per on a very good propduct.

22 x 450 + 9,900

There's more to the storyt I'm sure.

to see $700.00 to $800.00 per, for high-end window replacement(s)!

Regards,

--
Chris

My partner’s on the phone w/ Ms. Meese now, gathering some additional info. We’ll see if there’s anything we can do, practically, to help her out. Will keep you posted!

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Regards,

--
Chris

Any news on this? Gary can we do a little something for the Meeses?

Nick

PS. The Atlanta Chapter collected donations for the NACHI Foundation which I have forwarded to you.

Nick,

I called several times, with no answer. I was trying to get one of our inspectors in the area to go out there and see what issues there were. I will make some more attempts tommorow.

Gary

That is great about Atlanta, I would like to try and get more chapters to do the same thing.

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

that somewhat more sensitive issues are involved.

As of today, we are waiting for Ms. Meese to select a time for an onsite visit, pursuant to our Sunday conversation with her. We'll follow-up with her tomorrow. We've taken the local lead on this vis-a-vis NACHI, unless directed otherwise.

Best regards,

--
Chris

The inspector is a member of you know what again.

He Speak House.

Nick

I guess we’re not going to get the low-down, huh?

David Valley

MAB Member