Sop

What do you use as a standard when conducting a commercial inspection?

All 16 Divisions of the AIA, Code of Ethics And an SOP that would only relate to Commercial Inspections.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Greg,
Everyone I know that does commercial says it is not done to an SOP. That is one of the attractive qualities to doing them. Use standard ASTM guidelines. Typcially hire out the pros in each of the disciplines to do the actual inspections and you write the report. Plus, no realtor asking you every ten minutes how long is it going to take as “I have to go pick up my kids at day care.”

Hasn’t been written yet.

Division 1 Administrative responsibilities of the Contractor if New Construction.

Division 2 Site Work. Includes sidewalks, patios, lawns, septic systems, wells, retaining walls, buffers, ramps, safety access routes, lining, parkinglots, lawnspriklers, erosion control. Team effort required.

Division 3 Concrete, ah, my special. Team effort required.

Division 4 Masonry Like it. Team effort required.

Division 5 Metals. All the time. Team effort required Engineer.

Division 6 Rough and Finish Carpentry, my Master

Division 7 Thermal insulation, waterproofing and sealants. All the time

Division 8 Doors and Windows. Ah yes all the time.

Division 9 Drywall and painting, visual

Division 10 Specialties, toilet accessories, toilet partitions, roll up curtains,
Fire extinguishers, recessed mats, etc.

Division 11,12,&13, are ancillary

Division 14 Elevators Licensed installation, State Inspection required.

Division 15 HVAC Team effort required

Division 16 Electrical, Fire Alarm, Security, Lightning Protection, Motion Detection, Sound, Door Monitoring Systems. Definitely need a Team Effort.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

</IMG></IMG>

ASTM Standard for Commercial Inspections
http://www.3dinspection.com/articles/ASTM_commercial_inspections.html

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=ASTM+E2018-01

I will compare your Commercial Inspection Guideline to mine Claude and raise you $100.
Commercial ingredients necessary for survival,
Knowledge and Experience.

Experience= A whole lot of mistakes.

Knowledge= Never ending. A mistake only becomes an Error when it can not be corrected.

Commercial Inspection= You know you are able to inspect Commercial Buildings when you can walk the Exterior and Interior and be able to see in your mind the three “D” vision of how it was put together and visualize the components that were necessary to achieve the outcome.

In order to completely endorse a legitimate inspection, you should be able to tell whether or not the block masonry exterior wall were doweled in the foundation every course or every four feet. Would you know where to start with that.?

The Restaurant plumbing is it connected to a grease trap? What are the visual signs?

Was the building a Structural Steel fabrication custom built or was it Pre-Engineered? Could you tell the difference.

These are just examples and how would that compare to the ASTM?

The real thing or just a guide line?
So, who is doing the elite job of inspecting the Commercial Property, the ASTM or the one that knows how it was built.?

Marcel:) :wink:

Hi Greg,

I put in the agreement what they want inspected, I don’t use ASTM standards, but I -have- asked if they would like it inspected to those standards in the past, since they are available to the scrupulous buyer.

I have the ASTM standards on my computer, just sending them a copy is enough to make all of the clients say NO thank you after reading maybe a third of the non-sense.

They don’t want books written here (nor do I), just what is wrong today, and what might need repair/replacement soon, like Roofs, AC’s, etc.

Inspected over six million sq ft of commercial property last year, never had a client ask for anything more than what is wrong with the building.

Think I’ll keep it this way, no standards.

ASTM does not have an SOP for commercial inspections. They may call ASTM 2018 an SOP, but it isn’t. Read it. All it says is that nothing is prohibited and if you and your client agree to something it is permitted. Nothing prohibited, everything permitted is not an SOP.

Pretty much a waste of reading, I agree Nick.

I’ll second that emotion or motion or whatever it is called ha. ha.
What Dale said.

Marcel

I noticed that at the recent Denver commercial course, we were given printed copies of ASTM E2018-99, and that there is a more recent version E2018-01. I don’t have the 01, so I can’t compare. Does anyone know if there are important differences between the two? Does it matter which one I reference? I understand that E2018 is not a SOP, but I do need something “objective” to reference to when the client asks, so I’ll need to find a digital copy - all I have now is the printed.