SoPRFI Gas lines

Bruce T asks.

We are required under “Plumbing” to note deficiencies in the gas distribution system; however, “Gas Supply System” is listed under “Optional”. How are most inspectors handling this?

Secondly, under “Optional/Gas supply”, what is a “local or an industry-accepted procedure”? Soap bubbles and water?

To see the SoP go to http://www.soprfi.com/Standards.htm

If a home has gas appliances & the gas is On to the home then I inspect the visible portions of the gas supply system by olfactory senses first, i.e. I sniff around. I concentrate my focus to near appliance connections, i.e. I do not crawl around the attic looking for exposed gas piping. If alerted to a gas odor anywhere then I pull out the electronic combustible gas detector (a TIFF 8850) to drill down on the odor source. Soapy water can be substituted for an electronic tester if desired. I believe that is a locally accepted (and probably even industry accepted) practice. If an issue is identified then I note that in the Optional/Gas Supply section of the report.

Obviously though, the real issue is that gas piping is called out in two different sections of the SOP and there is significant confusion on what is a 'local or industry accepted procedure".

Here is good example from today’s inspection:

The home doesn’t have gas; however, there is a gas line going into the home near the heater. The heater is electric. The other end of the gas pipe wasn’t in the HVAC closet. I looked around for a some other gas-using appliance to no avail.

The whole thing is loose (just sitting on the block) and I’m not sure a connector is listed for exterior use. I read the tag and it did not preclude exterior use.

So, per the SoP, I inspect this under the “Plumbing” section as a gas distribution system and yet it is also “Optional” and could be considered a non-functioning gas supply system.