Source to identify mechanical/electrical equipment?

Originally Posted By: R. Alan O’Rear
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve heard there is a website where you can enter model/serial numbers and find the specifications of mechanical and electrical equipment. Is this just wishful thinking or does anyone know of its existence?

Thanks...Alan icon_question.gif

--
a CLOSER look, inc

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Alan

firstly welcome to inspectors annonymus icon_biggrin.gif

I’m not sure about an on-line resource to check model numbers but Prestons guide has a lot of what you are looking for, here’s the link to their site:

http://www.prestonguide.com/

Hope this helps

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry, thanks for the tip. I looked at the site and will order the book (probably the CD-ROM version) today. I found a reference to a Carrier book titled The Blue Book of Air Conditioning but can’t track it down. Do you know of any such reference covering main electrical panels? I found an old Cutler-Hammer the other day that had me scratching my head. I looked at the Cutler-Hammer site but could find no reference to this model (CH310). It’s marked with 3 main disconnects, very confusing.

...Alan

--
a CLOSER look, inc

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Alan,

Three phase would be an industrial product you most likely were looking at residential products.

Are you certain you read it correctly. The CH simply stands for the CH series panel. The 310 refers to the phase and ampacity rating of the breaker. For example, the 3 means 3 phase, the 10 would stand for 10 amps. Are you sure it was not CH3100? Meaning 3 phase, 100 amp.

I believe if you go back and look the CH 3100 up you will find what you are looking for.

Did you find this panel is a residence? Was this the main breaker?

Joe Myers

Joe, I called Cutler-Hammer consumer help line and they told me a CH3100 was a breaker number (3-phase, 100 amp), not a panel number. I double checked and the number I wrote down for the main panel was correct, CH310. They did not have a reference for that specific number but said it was a split-bus panel from the early 60’s. They are faxing a picture of a similar panel. I still can’t figure why there are three main disconnects.

…Alan

a CLOSER look, inc

Originally Posted By: rwills

Alan, Couldn’t find anything referencing your number to a panel but did find it referenced to a breaker, check this- http://www.allbreakers.com/store.asp/pg!products/specific!jmpqqscng Bob W

Bob, I will try to add a picture of the box, hope it works. The real question is (and maybe this should be posted on the eletrical board) why are there 3 main disconnects?

...Alan[img]http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Main Panel.jpg[/img]

--
a CLOSER look, inc

Originally Posted By: rwills

Alan, a picture would sure help. It seems someone may have their wires crossed here (pun intended), between panel and breaker part numbers. The breaker I found numbered CH310 means it’s a CH-meaning Cutler hammer, 3-meaning 3 pole, 10-meaning 10Amp, breaker. Again, maybe posting a photo will help. Thanks, BW

Originally Posted By: lwedige

Does anyone have feedback on the Heating/Cooling Technical Reference Guide from CarsonDunlop?

Larry

et al,

I tried to post a photo and all it shows is the URL. If you can figure out how to copy the URL into your web browser, it shows the picture. Otherwise, I give up…Alan

a CLOSER look, inc

Alan,

I misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about the main breaker number, not the panel number.

The split buss means just that, the buss bars in the panel are cut. You can have up to six breakers in the panel that cut off the power to the entire house. The panel you are talking about was cut into three different places and each of those disconnects controls a different section of the panel. You can cut off power to one section or all three. If this is the case you will see the wires running from those other two disconnects under the breakers in the panel and attached to the buss bar underneath via lugs.

I believe that I posted a picture of one here a while back in another thread under the electrical section.

Does that help you out?

Joe Myers

Alan,

Those pics are still on that thread if you wanna go take a look.

Here is the link:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=416

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rking

Larry Wedige wrote:
Does anyone have feedback on the Heating/Cooling Technical Reference Guide from CarsonDunlop?

Larry

Hi Larry,

I am a new inspector in Canada, and a graduate of the Carson Dunlop Home Study System. What sort of feed back are you looking for, I have all ten modules from their course and use their Home Reference Book as my reporting system. It is a 400 page encyclopedia of a homes systems and components.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Hello all,

A great reference book is the Technical Reference Book available through Carson Dunlop & Associates www.carsondunlop.com. You can look up serial numbers and get the specs of most heating or air conditioning systems and it also supplies contact numbers for various manufacturers if you have any questions.
The Carrier Blue Book, another reference manual but not as complete can be found at the Carrier website, look for your local authorized dealer, or talk to a heating/ air conditioning contractor in your area, they should be able to get you a copy.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Robert,

welcome to NACHI I thing you posted this in the wrong string, no biggy.

however I am very worried about your profile home inspector/firefighter do you often burn down homes whilst inspecting them ? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Hi Gerry,

I was simply replying to the first post in this string, or at least I though I was. If not, it must be the cold weather up here icon_lol.gif
I am a volunteer firefighter and it is helping my profile and my position in the community because I am new. People seem to think there is something good about volunteering to put my life on line for my community.
I just have to be careful walking those roofs!!!

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the link, I too will be purchasing a copy. I have been using Carson Dunlap's "Technical Reference Guide" but it looks like Preston's Guide blows it out of the water.

Joe.