SOUTH CAROLINA

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

, regulates and licenses the profession of home inspector under Title 40 chapter 59 of general statute.

The following is a link to the above law:

http://www.lpitr.state.sc.us/code/t40c059.htm

The following is a link to the South Carolina residential builders commission:

http://www.llr.state.sc.us/POL/ResidentialBuilders/index.asp?file=sitemap.htm

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Gerry,

Talk about a conflict of interest. I am reading this correctly? The builders association in going to be in control of the home inspector license? I can't imagine how hard it will be to get a license if you are a good inspector. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Brad Little

Gerry:

Thanks for this very helpful information.

Brad

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Brad and welcome to the forum, you are most welcome.

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jedwards

“Another” professional association is seeking to gain control of my state. I only just found out about this today, reading another board.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess115_2003-2004/bills/4246.htm

Raising the bar isn't a bad thing. Closing the profession to new entrants is. Read the bill carefully, and if you can't find the catch-22, I'll be happy to point it out.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

and

(5) passed the National Home Inspector Examination offered by the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors. The examination may have been passed before the effective date of this article.

Items (3) and (4) above, combined with the following items from another section, would effectively close the home inspection field to any new entrants:
Section 40-59-530. (A) A person may not provide, present, call, or represent himself as able to provide a home inspection for compensation unless licensed pursuant to the provisions of this article.
(B) A business entity may not provide home inspection services unless each of the home inspectors employed by the business entity is licensed pursuant to the provisions of this article.
(C) A business entity may not use, in connection with the name or signature of the business entity, the title 'home inspectors' to describe the business entity's services, unless each of the home inspectors employed by the business entity is licensed in accordance with the provisions of this article.

In a nutshell, the bill, as written, would prevent a home inspection company from employing anyone without a license-- but in order to become licensed, the prospective inspector must have performed a minimum of 250 inspections and worked as an inspector for three years.
CATCH-22.

(unquote)

It's my suspicion that the business about the ASHI full membership standards becoming state licensing requirements "for the first year after enactment" is meant to give the newly appointed board or commission that year to adopt those standards permanently, without making it look like a legislative move.

IMO there are some very simple yet compelling talking points in this very politically conservative state that could head off this bill as written. I believe NACHI could be a very valuable educational resource in reaching these folks.

**Message edited to add the following-- there's no grandfather clause that I can find in the bill... so if you're an inspector with 32 months of experience and 240 paid inspections on June 30 2004 when your license expires, guess what? You're done. Let alone someone like me who'll be happy to have 30 inspections after my first five or six months on that date.

--
John Edwards
Pre-Paid Legal Services

bill, which is scheduled to be taken up in a different committee this week.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess115_2003-2004/bills/4130.htm

Now, if this one flies, I wonder what effect it'll have on H 4246... especially when the chief sponsor is of H 4130 is the chairman of the LCI committee which 4246 was sent to?...

Here's the link to 4246 again--

http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess115_2003-2004/bills/4246.htm

I wonder if 4130 might have any effect on the authority of the proposed new home inspector licensing board...

Thoughts?

--
John Edwards
Pre-Paid Legal Services