South Dakota methamphetamine disclosure.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

(September 8, 2004) – A new South Dakota law took effect July 1 that requires sellers to sign a separate disclosure statement regarding the use of the property for the production of the illegal drug methamphetamine, or meth.

"The process is cumbersome," says Michelle Kleven, executive vice president at the South Dakota Association of REALTORS?. Kleven says it has been difficult for real estate practitioners to explain to sellers why they have to sign two disclosure statements, one about the property's condition and another about the use of the property for meth production.

As a result, the association plans to revise its seller disclosure form so all items, including the meth disclosure, are included on the same document. Kleven expects the new form to be submitted for legislative approval in January 2005 and, if approved, to take effect July 1, 2005.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

I wonder if it’s because of the potential BIO hazard or just to let the new owners know they might have some UN-welcome visitors in the future?

Joe

--
Joe,
Vice-President, Idaho Chapter,
www.NachiIdaho.org

Inspected as though my family are to live or work there.

http://www.Treasurevalleyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Good grief! Do they have so many meth labs there that this was really needed? I hope not, but that sure seems to be the implication.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Brian,

I agree with that…what has this country come to? This is a disgrace! Almost slaps every honest american in the face to sign something like that. You think a person dealing meth is going to sign that and say, yep…my home was a meth lab?

I remember years ago (I think in my state) they required you to get a Marajuana stamp if you were going to sell pot. WTF??? Who the hell thought up these stupid laws? If you want to get more money in fines, increase the fine for possession or give jail time or whatever...don't create stupid laws.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

One thing to remember is that the majority of the homes are rented when they are busted. I know in Idaho the home owner has to pay for the hazmat clean-up of the house (VERY expensive $25k-$000,000ks I believe) in that it makes the landlord be more pro active concerning his/her property no matter the value of it. I heard of some that the only way to clean up was to demolish the house, which of course every piece has to be specially handled not simply taken to the dump.

I’m not sure what it is if the dealer owns the property except I think it is seized and then auctioned as in the cars, boats ect.

http://www.usdoj.gov/marshals/assets/nsl.htm

Myself, I'd want to know before I moved my family into one just for the sake of their safety. Addicts don't usually have good memories except as to where they got their last score.
Not all meth houses are in the slums. The latest one I saw here, the house was in a very prominent neighborhood. $500-$800K. VERY nice for here.

I believe they also have to disclose if someone was killed in a house here too.

That brings up a thought...... I'm sure the hazmat teams are very though, but what are the chances an inspector is in the crawl space under a leakage area that was missed?
HMmmmmm I'll have to do some checking into that as I'm sure it doesn't have to be disclosed to an inspector.

Joe

--
Joe,
Vice-President, Idaho Chapter,
www.NachiIdaho.org

Inspected as though my family are to live or work there.

http://www.Treasurevalleyinspections.com