Spanish style roof

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/DSCN0006.JPG ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/DSCN0005.JPG ]

Ron Chorey

LAS CRUCES Home Inspections

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jpope

Felt will deteriorate if exposed to the sun. It is wrong.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Ronald,

That looks like fiberglass mat felt, which is sunlight resistant. Still, it will last longer if coated with a protective coating.

I'm not quite sure what the photos are showing, tile, felt, stucco? No flashing and counter flashings?

Is the stucco a wall near it? Is that a cricket?

I'm trying to visualize what you are showing, trying to 'see' it looking 'down', but I'm missing something and I can't quite grasp it.

The tile is laid such that water draining down the roof is running to the stucco at the felt, but what does the stucco represent?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

The stucco is a parapet wall that goes down to a pitched roof. I just saw that there is nothing over the felt. To me it looks like it is unfinished.

Ron Chorey

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Ron,

Like which one of these?

[ Image: like which side of this drawing? ]

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

It’s like the one on the right side. On the left side it is a flat roof. I just feel that the felt should be covered by tiles or other UV protection.

Ron Chorey

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Ron,

It looks like it's lapped wrong if it is like the right side of my drawing.

That also looks like fiberglass mat felt, or ... is that a System One tile roof and that is 43 lb felt underlayment just hanging out beyond the tile? That is called "tile underlayment" for a reason, if it is. Because (you are right) that stuff (if tile underlayment) is not intended for prolonged exposure to sunlight.

Any way of finding out what that is? Or you wrote it up and it's a done deal now?

[ Image: 43# tile underlayment at ridge of a 15 year old System One roof (from yesterday's inspection) ] I lightened (a lot) the photo to remove the shadow and adjusted the contrast so the 43# felt would show. Note the wearing through part along the ridge. This is common as the material just dries out and losses its elasticity, then it begins to just pull apart at the stress points, and the ridge is a high stress point.

This subdivision has a hundreds of homes with this el cheapo tile roof. These were built around 1988-1990. Since then, they no longer use System One down here because it just does not hold up (it rains down here, and these are not much good for places with rain ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

It’s been written up already. I told the home owner that I believed the roof was not finished and he needs to go to the builder. This home was built in August of this year and the buyer did not have a home inspection until after he bought the home and had water intrusion because of the landscaping around the home, the home owner had some water leaks through the roof, that got repaired. Then he decides to hire me and when I gave him the report and we went through it he asked if there were any code violations.

I told him that it appeared the roof was not finisshed and that any code violations I probably would not see as if there were any they would be behind walls. I think he wanted something in writing to go back to the builder with and maybe then to a lawyer. Here in Las Cruces, if you sign at closing and there is work still to be done good luck. these builders here are gone and off to another job site and I here buyers play hell getting them back to fix stuff. I have done two other brand new homes that I was really picky on because of the contractors here.

Anway thanks for the help. And best of luck

Ron

--
Ron Chorey
rchorey@comcast.net
rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org