Sports, working out etc...

Everyday? :shock: Are we talking about the same kind of exercise?

I play for a football team year round. I can do so at my age (about to turn 50) because I do very heavy labor (mostly fire mitigation this time of year) several times a week at altitude (about 8,500 feet above sea level). But I don’t do it for my physical health (the game has caused me more injuries than if I was in a bad car wreck)… and I probably put down over 5,000 calories during brunch afterwards. :shock: I can climb a fourteener tomorrow though, something most people have to train months for.

Char and I have slowed down just a little we both weigh just 8 lbs over what we did when we got maried in 1955 me 180 lbs and Char a lot less .
Both still very active ,Yes it has worked well for us .
Congratulations to all . We do not smoke or drink .
Roy

When you give up all your vices, you don’t live longer … it just feels longer.

All you health nuts out there are going to be pretty disappointed when you are in the hospital dying of NOTHING.

I don’t smoke anything, but I’m an alcoholic who has figured out a way to have two drinks max, then switch to water. But no max on BBQ chicken for me :wink: . I live in Boulder, we don’t do coffee, we do chai.

[quote=“bgarrison, post:15, topic:63845”]

Yes, it was from Beach Body. My wife and I did the Insanity for the 60 days, lost 12 lbs, started seeing my abs again (I think the last I saw them was 15 years ago). I did a second round, but only halfway. Then i got the Asylum (from Insanity). It’s “only” for 30 days and it’s CRAZY, but I love it! After that round, I did the hybrid Asylum/P90X for 30 days. I’m about to start a new round Asylum.

I’ll have to check out the rack. Congratulations on the weight loss! I want to loose another 10lbs to get to 160 but then I’d like to put on bulk (which is why I tested Asylum/P90X hybrid)

“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. When they wake up in the morning, that’s the best they’re going to feel all day long.”

Dean Martin

Right on, after growing up at an altitude of roughly 2000 feet (nothing compared to the oxygen deprivation you get at 8,500 feet), I could out run my friends from lower altitudes any day.
Now, the only way I get closer to the sky in Houston TX is by driving on a bridge… :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbgmvZdLk4o&feature=player_embedded

I love it!

[quote=“wmisegades, post:26, topic:63845”]

Thanks. I’m not so sure the Rack was the reason for the weight loss. Don’t get me wrong, I like using it and still use it at home but the nutrition program I followed coupled with some intense workouts and no drinking got me where I want to be. The before and after pictures are mind blowing… I think they made me look extra goofy in the “before.”

Nutrition is for sure the key and the will to workout. No machine is going to do it until we set our minds to it.

Me too… that’s a good one:D

If I don’t set myself different goals/stages to attain, I become very lazy and go back to my bad eating habits and lack of working out.
Between the first post on this subject and Christmas, my goal was to loose an extra 5-7 lbs because I know I"m gonna gain it back with all festivities.
So, once I get back from my holidays, my next goal is to train for this:
http://warriordash.com/ the East Texas one.
If any of my Texan fellow-members are interested let me know!

This thread has come up at a great time. I have been thinking of taking fitness classes. I just can’t see me at a gym!

I am working through a bucket list (I’m still young to have one of them) and learning Karate is on it. These past few days I have been researching classes in town, I am already familiar with one school as my daughter has had classes with them. On my list tomorrow is to book classes.

And yes, I have checked off some bucket list items already, I only started on it this summer.

Glad to see your still working on it a year later Will, that warrior dash looks amazing! Please don’t mention the fact that there is one in Ontario, I did notice that! Shhhhhh!

If I like it, I might start doing all over the country and go international :wink:
I used to trek up and down the fjords in Norway as well as the peninsulas in Ireland. I was part of a group of 6 adults taking 20 teens to these countries for 3 weeks. We were also there to help bring food and water to break stands during a race that took place over 5 days, the runners ran 160 km. It was absolutely crazy and amazing!

Good luck with fitness classes!

I have to say that it looks like something I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid at 15 years ago, I would just have signed up. I always wanted to do these kinds of adventure courses. I’m a way off being able to do that now. Skydiving is also on the bucket list. I think that will be an aim for next year too.
Did you ever make it to Scotland or Wales for your treks, there is phenomenal places for treks in both countries. I’m from the north of Scotland in the mountain region, it’s beautiful land. I did an outward bound course in Wales in school, and it was amazing, especially the canoeing over a viaduct. Just breathtaking.

Skydiving on my list too!
Unfortunately, I have not made it to Scotland. I had a log house project in Inverness but was never had the opportunity to visit it after it was done.

During one of the races in Norway, there was a married couple (aged late 40s early 50s) who spent all their time and vacation moneys on races/treks like these. They said that’s how they loved to visit countries. They didn’t want to do see what every other tourist saw. They wanted to see the backside of the countries, the places nobody went. They said intense physical activity and sometimes pain makes you see the world differently :slight_smile:

I am from just a few miles away from Inverness, gorgeous place, definitely the area I would recommend visiting. My Dad was stationed in RAF Kinloss when he met my Mom, Kinloss shut down this year, just a few months after he died. He was 60, hence my rather premature bucket list.
I like to see the real country when I visit, having lived in 5 different countries I think I have seen the backside of those countries, LOL!
I tried scuba diving way back when I was a teen, and never really took to it, would like to try that again. I like water sports, and that is something I should add to my activities, a minimum of 1 weekly swim.

Wow, completely forgot about my promise to swim once a week!
I did however start the karate, and already have a black stripe on my white belt, the first few weeks I was one hurting unit, only managing to go every fourth day, now I am going four times a week. It’s addictive. I haven’t lost a pound so far, I have actually gained about 5! I am assured it’s muscle mass.
Something that came up tonight though is that as a team our Dojo enters the Warrior Dash, now I am going to be talked into (that will be easy I think) into entering, so now I am going to have to quit smoking and start running. Have been informed I need to run 5K at a steady pace.

All said though so far Karate has been a massive boost for me, I feel fitter, can now almost do the splits, I’m about 4 or 5 inches away from it, and can complete the workouts almost staying at speed for pushups and situps, the plank is killing me though!!!
Have a hip pain tonight though so may have to visit a chiro for the first time ever.

How is everybody else doing?