Spring under home

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was at faqfarm.com and came across this unanswered question ?What can be done for a water spring under the house?? and thought it might be a fun thing to kick around here.

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

That’s not all that uncommon here in the north east

they would build farmhouses on them for a source

of water, I have seen 3 myself.

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Obviously you can’t stop the spring but you can cut a hole in the floor,(if it’s concrete rather than dirt.You did’nt say) and install a sump pump and hope the water will leech to the pump hole and then get pumped outside.Around this area it is not uncommon for drain tile to be installed inside as well as the outside perimeter of the footings in known spring areas.The inside tile is then connected to the sump pump resivoir and pumped out to daylight.Not the public sewer system.Of course this is new construction. It’s pretty expensive to add tile later but if adding the sump alone doesn’t work the additional inside tile can be done.

Cheremie

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I have seen pumps installed around the perimeter of an area to draw down the water table. Not sure if this would work…it would depend on the specific conditions. I worked for a power company that had a generating station on a man-made and sinking island. The pumps kept the plant dry with the finished grade 3 feet below sea level. That was a fun project!

Curtis

Originally Posted By: roconnor

There are a few areas around my neck of the woods with underground springs/streams and high ground water in residential areas. I have also worked on designs/evaluations for commercial buildings with deep underground levels right near the water. Gets to be pretty tricky keeping things dry.

Foundation underdrain systems with pumps and/or special watertight construction can be used to help keep basements relatively dry, but for anything other than occasional water levels above a basement floor the construction cost gets to be prohibitive for homes. You also have to consider what happens if the power goes out and the underdrain pumps shut down.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong