Square D disconnect?

I have always seen this style disconnect fed through the top terminals. My question is does it make a difference if it is fed through the bottom terminals? Will the disconnect breaker work when fed through the bottom terminals?

There is always a distinct line and load. There are reasons for this.
In the case of a Sq D “dummy breaker” style it is to prevent the removable breaker from being used as the line. You want the fixed lugs as the line.

Edit - typo

The Square D main breaker disconnects that I have installed are not labelled LINE or LOAD.

Are you asking about this style? http://www.squared.com/us/products/load_centers.nsf/unid/FDEF45B91CC64F1685256A9D00736C30/$file/qom2cbecnlosureFrameset.htm

Yes this is the disconnect box that was installed. The home owner stated it doesn’t make a difference which way you hook it up, it will work either way. I told my client I wanted to make sure before reporting it incorrectly. I always installed these as though the line terminals were on top, last one I installed was 5-6 yrs. ago. But as stated by Jim, this breaker is not labeled, from what I can see. So will the breaker work if fed from either direction?

Yes, a breaker will work in either direction.

Can we see the wiring diagram? This instruction was in the SQD link above.

1. Connect the phase, neutral, and ground conductors.

a. Install the phase and neutral conductors according to the wiring diagram located on the back of the cover.

Joe,

I don’t remember any diagram on the removeable deadfront. The breaker itself is not labelled for LINE or LOAD.

It’s rare that a breaker itself would be marked.

Standard practice to wire line on top.

“Standard practice” is not in question here.

I can’t speak for Ohio, but in Ontario, the inspector would make us rewire this and put a note next to our name ‘double check this guys work!’

The real question is if the breaker snaps on a rail (as opposed to one with lugs in and out or a bolt in breaker). If it snaps on a rail and it is being “back fed” (hot goes to the breaker lugs) you need a hold down device on the breaker.
That is probably what Petey was alluding to in #2.
The reality is it should just be installed with the hot on top in the lugs. This must be a homeowner job.

Went back to look again at it today. NO label on back cover, or was removed. I will go to a distrubutor tomorrow and get an instock one and take a look at the back of the cover. It is a bolt on breaker by the way. My biggest concern is will the breaker work properly in either direction?

You bet it will work properly. With the exception of electronic breakers used in some commercial work, breakers are not “directional”.

The only types of disconnects, in general, that have a marked ‘LINE’ and ‘LOAD’ are the fuse type and the knife blade type. Breaker type disconnects are almost never marked ‘LINE’ and ‘LOAD’ and can therefore be wired in either direction.

I am quite familiar with the disconnect pictured in the link, and I can say with absolute surety that it does not have a marked line and load, nor are there manufacturer instructions regarding a particular wiring orientation. It may be wired in either direction. I have installed a great many of them.

Thanks Marc, That is what I found out from Square -D- I called them direct.

I could have saved you the dime.

http://www.contractortalk.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif