Square D Double-Tap Location

Michael

I could point out the error of their ways. I can even show them the concern. I also believe ESA has a method to provide input from in the field experiences in order to change the code provisions.

In my opinion just because they are AHJ does not always mean they are right. But I don’t know whether its worth my effort. I shouldn’t have to be pointing out serious concerns to a code authority. :frowning:

I understand that Raymond but they have the final say in any case. Perhaps they will see th error of there ways but in the mean time it can make an HI look foolish for bucking their authority. JMHO

Well Put!

However, when ever I ‘question’ the thinking process of any AHJ, I am given the act article/code that says ‘he/she is always right’. The name alone, AHJ, means I have to smile and say, “it’ll get done that way.”

tom

P.S. back to the original photo, geezzz… I bet the freaking breaker has a photo/image embedded on the breaker to show HOW to properly double tap. The one I’m holding has one on the right side of the breaker. Boobs. :slight_smile:

Chuck…Where was your class…the instructor was incorrect and a good example of problems with some instructors.

The problem I have as in inspector is I can only enforct the label instructions and there is nothing that says both wires on a QO have to be the same size or even the same material. The old ones just say “1-2 wires #8-#14 CU/AL”. I don’t have a new one with the instructions molded in the side but you can’t see that when they are installed anyway.

In my opinion, I don’t worry about codes or what the local AHJ says. If I believe there is a safety concern I will report it as such. A good example, locally the requirement for automatic closers for garage/house doors was dropped from the code. I still report this as a safety hazard.

Greg, I sure that’s true for Square D QCs due to the wobble plate under the breaker conductor screw.

This however is not the case in some cutler hammer panels with regards to the neutral bus screws. See photo.
Neatral bus.jpg

The neutral buses usually say the wires have to be the same size on the label.

Many manufactures rely on the fact if they don’t give instructions how to do ‘mixed’ sizes, then the one conductor per terminal screw applies. This is why I see many times in Square-D products, torque settings for pairs of the same size wires.

later,

tom

Is twisting the two wires together and placing them under the srew permisable if there is concern for arching and looseness?

If you are going to do that Raymond you might as well wire nut them together and run one wire to the breaker. :smiley:

Paul,

I didn’t mean to imply anything about the instructor, he was very knowledgeable and provided a lot of info. He wasn’t aware of the Sq D breakers. I did, as I encountered this on an inspection and talked to one of my electricians about it.

Ahh…no problem as I was saying not to discredit the instructor but to imply things are always changing and staying current with changes is always a weakness for those who are not in the actual field on a regular basis.

Here’s a picture of a Square D breaker with the instructions on the side of the CB

Have a tall one on me Paul, and take the trolley for a short ride and be sure to go to the market, no pictures of violations please. :roll:

So if I can make that out it is showing 2 wires connected size #14-#10 and one wire up to #8.
It also says this can be rated at 75c.

The only double taps I allow are the ones with these type of breakers…
doubletap_allowed.jpg

This type of breaker is designed to receive two identical wire sizes.

Yes, this is true but it’s also true that’s a Sq D QO CB can have two conductors in any size from #14 to #10. They are not required to be the same size.

Doesn’t it show a little picture on the side of the breaker? for double tapes

Yup.

Where does it say two different size conductors can be connected to the same breaker?