Station KMOV, St. Louis) – A metro-east woman is working to stop the killer
that took her husband’s life: radon. On a quiet street in Waterloo, IL, a silent, invisible secret was slowly
killing Joe Linnertz.
Linnertz hadn’t smoked in more than 20 years, which is why his doctor blamed cigarettes and radon gas for causing the cancer. What was radon gas? And where was it? Radon gas comes from the breakdown of uranium in the soil, which attaches to particulates and can increase the risk of lung cancer if the exposure takes place over many years. Test kits showed the Linnertz home had a dangerous level of radon. Gloria Linnertz hired a licensed mitigator to install a system that filtered it out. Now, she’s lobbying lawmakers to pass a state law requiring all homes get tested for it.
Click to watch the video:http://www.kmov.com/blcS.sc?search=radon
Then select: Health - As Seen on News 4 | Local woman hopes to prevent radon Jan 19, 2007 -
Or go to www.kmov.com and type the word “radon” in the search window.