Stab Loc Breakers

You ever stop to think maybe why these two are out of business? The market has a way of working things out over time.

I agree with you to a degree, but these companies didn’t go out of business due to poor products.

Zinsco was purchased by Sylvania - that does not equate to a “business failure.” FPE has changed names, but is almost completely dominant in Canada for the manufacture of residential electrical equipment.

Jeff,

Actually Federal Pacific still exists as a company.

To the CPSC issue, it is correct that the reason a recall could not be issued was for the fact that the breakers were not sold to the general public. This was FPE’s position. The CPSC is limited to consumer purchased products, supposedly.

The coontroversy came after Federal Pacific was sold and the purchaser discovered some, let’s say, “irregularities” in its testing facility. This is around the time that FPE lost ALL UL listings on its products, including molded case breakers. Eventually, the listings were restored, but it is factual to state that they were all suspended.

In reality, the irregularities were so aggregious that the party that purchased FPE sued to get their money back. Allegedly, they received a portion back, and were forced to retain FPE.

That should tell you how serious things were.

I had heard that, but was unsure as to its validity.

There are two companies one FPE and the other is FP. Reliance bought FPE which is not part of FP.

Interesting video on Stab Lok

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/?escaped_fragment=%2Fon-air%2Fas-seen-on%2FFPE-Circuit-Breakers–Decades-of-Danger%2F171540611

Isn’t the FP company, Federal Pioneer? Below from the internet…

This is a brand page for the FEDERAL PIONEER trademark by SCHNEIDER CANADA INC in TORONTO ONTARIO, , M4B 1Y2. Write a review about a product or service associated with this FEDERAL PIONEER trademark. Or, contact the owner SCHNEIDER CANADA INC of the FEDERAL PIONEER trademark by filing a request to communicate with the Legal Correspondent for licensing, use, and/or questions related to the FEDERAL PIONEER trademark.

On Thursday, December 14, 1989, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for FEDERAL PIONEER by SCHNEIDER CANADA INC, TORONTO ONTARIO M4B 1Y2. The USPTO has given the FEDERAL PIONEER trademark serial number of 74010828. The current federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED AND RENEWED. The correspondent listed for FEDERAL PIONEER is BACON & THOMAS of 625 SLATERS LANE, FOURTH FLOOR, ALEXANDRIA VA 22314, . The FEDERAL PIONEER trademark is filed in the category of Computer & Software Products & Electrical & Scientific Products . The description provided to the USPTO for FEDERAL PIONEER is POWER AND DISTRIBUTION TRANSFORMERS, CIRCUIT BREAKERS, SWITCH GEAR, LOW TO MEDIUM VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION EQUIPMENT AND HIGH VOLTAGE DIRECT CURRENT ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS AND SYSTEMS, NAMELY, SAFETY SWITCHES, METAL ENCLOSED SWITCHGEAR, MOLDED CASE CIRCUIT BREAKERS COMPRISING FRAME BREAKERS, BUS DUCT AND PLUG-IN UNITS THEREFOR, DISTRIBUTION AND POWER TRANSFORMERS, DRY TYPE POWER TRANSFORMERS, CONVERTER TRANSFORMERS, CIRCUIT BREAKER PANELBOARDS AND LOAD CENTRES, MOTOR CONTROLS, ELECTRICAL FUSIBLE SERVIC.

Bert

Somehow I couldn’t get the link to open Bill…

try this one… Roy

I wonder why an Expert? would be doing a destructive test with our putting the breaker in a protected area .

For sure in free air no protection he is defiantly asking for trouble.

Yes, that worked. Thanks Roy!

Bert

Nice video though. Thanks for sharing.

Bert

It is called Hollywood effects. I sure hope that a real home inspector would not be influenced by a news report.

Sure got big balls for a non member.

Bill,

Link is not currently working 2/14/12 8:52 pm