Standing water

I am prepping for an 11 month inspection - the customer has been asking the home builder to take care of a standing water issue in the side yard between houses. apparently the builder has not been responsive.

I am looking for anything that can help get the builders attention. So far I have potential mosquito issues and im looking for other reasons for the builder to fix.

Any ideas that I should bring up in my discussion with the homeowner?

thanks for any help

Bob I don’t know if this will help be in the newer neighborhoods they are now building these retention ponds for storm water. we had one that always had water in it behind the homes and the builder did nothing. We contacted the town codes enforcement. They were able to get it done by withholding some bond money and future building permits of the developer/builder?
The next step was going to be the health department…

Suspect the lot does not have proper drainage?
Are there any visible swales?
You may have to go out after a heavy rain to see the poor drainage yourself, take a pic/document it.
http://www.lakesuperiorstreams.org/stormwater/toolkit/swales.html

Seeing as you follow the IBC:

**1804.3 Site grading.
**The ground immediately adjacent to the foundation shall be sloped away from the building at a slope of not less than one unit vertical in 20 units horizontal (5-percent slope) for a minimum distance of 10 feet (3048 mm) measured perpendicular to the face of the wall. If physical obstructions or lot lines prohibit 10 feet (3048 mm) of horizontal distance, a 5-percent slope shall be provided to an approved alternative method of diverting water away from the foundation. Swales used for this purpose shall be sloped a minimum of 2 percent where located within 10 feet (3048 mm) of the building foundation. Impervious surfaces within 10 feet (3048 mm) of the building foundation shall be sloped a minimum of 2 percent away from the building. **

Exception: **Where climatic or soil conditions warrant, the slope of the ground away from the building foundation shall be permitted to be reduced to not less than one unit vertical in 48 units horizontal (2-percent slope).

The procedure used to establish the final ground level adjacent to the foundation shall account for additional settlement of the backfill. ****

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I took some pictures today and it sounds like the home builder is more willing to fix the issue than their initial response. The water sits between 2 houses w/ a cedar fence in the middle. It is obvious that the problem needs to be cared for or the fence will not hold up as well. I think I have what I need for my report. thanks for the feedback.

I put slope should fall 1/2 inch per foot for 10 feet away from the structure.

Bob,

Here’s the way I would write it.

Standing water was viewed in the RH yard along the property line indicating improper site drainage. Have a Qualified Landscaper make corrections as needed.