Starting a New Home Inspection Business

Originally Posted By: Scott Hessenius
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am considering a gradual career change. I’m currently in the insurance business as a network administrator and have rental properties as a side business/hobby in Iowa. I enjoy working on my rentals and my own home improvement projects more than working my current job. As a result, I’ve considered making a gradual change into something I really enjoy. Home inspection appeals to me because of the constant learning of all the different aspects of a home and it’s physically something that could be done for many years opposed to the labor involved in actual construction or remodeling. I also have the desire to start and market my own business.

I would like to know if this is a good opportunity to start on a part time basis to begin with and what's the most recommended path of education? I'm considering using some vacation time this year to attend the 11 day course offered through ITA. After the formal training is there anything else required/recommended before I start marketing my service? Does anyone have opinions of this class or recommendations for better ones?

Thanks,
Scott

Originally Posted By: bgentry

Ask me again in six months eusa_pray.gif

Originally Posted By: Scott Hessenius

Are you taking the classes?