Starting New Inspection Company

I started my own Inspection company a couple of months ago and I was wondering how some of yall started marketing your company? I have run Google ads, I have a website, I am on FB, I have gone to Real Estate offices with business cards and a fee schedule. So my question is, is there something I am not doing that I should be, or do I need to do more of something?? I am in South Florida and want to get the business going a little quicker than it currently is. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

No matter what, it takes time so have realistic expectations. I’ve found having something to give people helps. This can be a physical thing you hand them (at an office visit) or something of value in an email. Just standing in the pool with everyone else saying you’re the best is easy to forget as you just blend in.

When I visit and office I hand them a pouch of coffee beans with a couple business cards clipped to it. If you do an email campaign rather than it just being an advertisement send them an article from your blog or website that is info they might like to know. We are all so overrun with input/advertisements these days that you must find a way to stand out.

Have you joined your local realtor association as an affiliate member? In many areas you can do that and then go tour houses with a caravan of realtors. That’s a great way to get some face to face chat time with agents.

I’ve found just cold-calling an office will generally get you nowhere as the gatekeeper at the front desk gets hammered all day. I try to find offices in malls or urban areas where agents are doing “floor time” and are usually bored and up for a chat (but be VERY respectful if they get actual clients walking in).

I bought an existing company 20+ years ago so really never had to do much initial marking to get the company going but just moved and am starting up a new company. I’m realizing just how lucky I was to get a company that already had a client base (of course, I paid for it). It’s tough for sure.

1 Like

It takes 8-10 touches before people (agents or clients) will recognize you.

It also is a relationship business, so it takes time for people to know you, like you, and then trust you.

Most people get going 1-2 years after opening their business.

Lastly, I found the most success when I offered classes to agents for CE credits and expected nothing in return. Pre-COVID we were giving around 100 classes per year. It works better than all other marketing combined.

Good luck out there.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

Get rid of the fake Testimonial that you have on your website.
Nobody talks like that… except newbie inspectors and seo sales companies trying to scam the innocent public!!!

2 Likes

Come on these guys have advanced technology sound super advanced alien technology! That DJI II was the shit 10 years ago.

1 Like
  1. Anyone’s 1st year in business is spent more time marketing than inspecting. Plan for it, embrace it. You’re a marketing professional now who just happens to do home inspections on the side.

2. Flordia has more home inspectors per capita than any other state. Good luck! It’s tough out there.

3. Did you research your name well? I find multiple Trident Inspections companies across the country and more than one in Florida. You don’t want your market dollars helping someone else out.

4. Your website, oye…

Your phone number is nowhere to be found on your home page. Your phone # needs to be one top, center, and bottom. It needs to be everywhere.

Your about us page, is ok, nice touch with a real photo instead of a stock photo. Good job! But the text? It says nothing about you. Nada. Just some generic stuff about being certified. Well, guess what? So is every other home inspector.

Speaking of, isn’t Florida a licensed state? Where is your license #???

Your service page, ok, I get what you meant, but it comes off as you don’t do general home inspections. Fix that!

Back to your home page. It says “There is excitement in the air! Have you found your first home or, is it your forever home? We suggest you get a home inspection first.”

Uh, you suggest?? That’s it? Suggest?

"Your lender will most likely require an inspection to ensure the house has no major defects. " Simply untrue. Lenders don’t give a hoot about a home inspection. Do you know your industry? Right there every agent with a 1/2 ounce of knowledge is thinking “don’t hire this guy!”

“As the buyer, you also want a home inspection to protect you from costly repairs in the future.” Actually, that’s not the point of a home inspection.

“Our knowledge and experience help us to validate that your home is safe and secure for you and your family.” Again, really not the point of a home inspection. We don’t validate a home is safe, we report on it’s condition. If the house is a flaming pile of dog turds, we report it as so, not validate it.

If I were looking for a home inspector, based on your webpage, I wouldn’t call you, because you don’t appear to know what a home inspection is. Ok, wait, I can’t call you anyway, your phone number isn’t on your website!

“Our trained inspectors are certified, licensed and insured. We comply with the strict Standards of Practice of blah, blah, boring…” Dude, it’s just you. And no one gives a rear-end you’re certified, because so is every other home inspector in Florida!

What you do have going for you is there is only one YOU. You have to make your site about YOU and how there is no one else exactly like YOU. Not the same boring crap every inspector says.

1. For how to market a website, the good news is there are years upon years of research on what works and doesn’t work all in one place for you to read. Just click here, and read everything written. Twice.

It’s what I did when I was new.

1 Like