State Control of HI Industry - Good or Bad?

Ray, my dear naive friend…

Where do your “outside non-members” come from? Who is it, now, trying to dictate to you? What will you do when these men have the backing of your government behind them?

This truth was also discovered and published by one of ASHI’s national lobbyist’s Janet Swandby.

Stir everyone up, I am a big proponent of injecting mass chaos into the system, muddying the waters goes a long way in helping to stall legislation, this is truly an area where anarchy seems to work.

James,

The trouble here in Washington is that Last Years Bill was not killed, it was sent to the Sunrise Committee for Review, where usually a lot of Bills die, recent Media Coverage of Home Inspectors has lit a bee in some State Senators Bonnets and they are very likely to introduce the same Legislation “after Review by the Sunrise Committee” during the next Legislative Session. We may be getting a Law that has been written FOR us, we supposedly have a NACHI State Rep on the Advisory Board, but we hear nothing from him, it’s hard to organize chaos when there is no communication.

I assure you, there is no one from NACHI representing NACHI members on this board. There may very well be a member of NACHI (who, possibly, could hold membership in other associations as well) on this board, but there is nothing compelling him to observe your interests or report to you. Local issues is not a NACHI National project.

In Washington there is an Advisory Group made up of HI’s from various organizations and members of WSDA who have been working on new Legislation for the past year, one of the Members declared himself the NACHI State Rep for the Advisory Board, I’ve asked who appointed him yet not even Nick has answered, Nick did get involved with the earlier attempt at licensing this year, too late but he did write letters to the right people.

Nachi is not just National, it does have local chapters and local issues:

November 30, 2006

Re: The Washington Home Inspectors Legislative Advisory Group

Dear Fellow Inspector:

Last January, a group of home inspectors met to form a coalition. In general, this gathering was the culmination of an ongoing effort to bring together Washington State home inspectors who represent various national and state associations. Specifically, the group met in response to a Washington State inspector licensing bill (SB6229), sponsored earlier this year. The group believes that the bill is not supported by, nor is it representative of, the home inspection profession.

The Washington Home Inspectors Legislative Advisory Group is made up of Washington State professional home inspectors and/or owners and officers of home inspection businesses. Members are variously affiliated with:
¨The American Home Inspector Association (AHIA)
¨The American Institute of Inspectors (AII)
¨American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI)
¨National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI)
¨National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI)
¨National Association of Building Inspections Engineers (NABIE)
¨Washington State Pest Control Association (WSPCA)
¨Washington State Home Inspection Association (WSHIA)
¨Independent professional home inspectors
¨Owners and operators of home inspection franchises

Some of the members of the group are in favor of licensing; others are not. However, all agree that licensing, in some form, is inevitable. Rather than wait for others, unrelated to the home inspection profession, to determine how and when we should be licensed, this group has set about the task of developing a home inspector licensing proposal. It is our goal to create a proposal that is consumer protection oriented, and also reflects the knowledge and experience of those of us who work in the profession. We are planning to complete the proposal by the 2008 legislative session.

We are interested in your input. Each of us is contacting his or her local chapters and/or national associations in an effort to solicit feedback and opinions about any aspect of licensing. We want to hear what you think about training, continuing education, experience, testing, governing agencies, licensing fees, and any other issues you deem important.

file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image004.gif

Members of the group can be reached via the Editor of The Inspector’s Journal. Just send an email to ********** specifying which member your correspondence is meant for, and it will be forwarded immediately to the designee. You can be assured that we will review and consider any information you direct to our attention and will do our best to keep you advised of our progress through emails, your respective organizations, if applicable, or via The Inspector’s Journal.

Sandy Hartman
Advisory Group Secretary

Nachi Reps have been contacted, no reply, and no progress reports either on this Board or the Inspector’s Journal from any source, a good example of self regulation.

I am going to try to attend the meeting in January, if our Nachi Rep doesn’t like it, then I’ll be there as an Independent. Without information on what the Board is attempting many other interested Inspectors may unknowingly end up working against the Board. Either Nick appointed our Rep or he Appointed himself, that’s the way I heard it, either way Nachi Members of Washington State should be kept informed about things being done in our name, if not then what do we need NACHI for?

It looks like you have already been introduced to the integrity of the political process of formulating home inspection legislation.:wink: Be wary of anything else you are asked to swallow during this process.

These people who are disguising themselves to your state legislators as “representatives” of you and the industry are there to push their agenda. That’s what it’s all about. Your legislators actually believe that this is true and have no way of knowing otherwise without hearing some very loud noise to the contrary.

Those who want this bill, as you have already pointed out, have a great deal of money to gain and they are very organized in their effort.

NACHI National will not lead your fight. Form your own group, make a plan, then inform Nick exactly how you would like for him to support you - and he will do it.

You need to start right away letting your legislature know that this “advisory board” represents only themselves (and possibly your ASHI chapter) and NOT you and the remaining inspectors. Start there. If you don’t…or if you try to work through this group and add to their credibility by doing so…you will be spoonfed their bill. You have no representation on this board.

I’ve already told the Senators involved that the Advisory Group doesn’t represent me or as far as I can tell, any other Inspector in the State, if they did they would be keeping us informed. I’ve also been talking with the WSDA and WSPCA about their views on licensing and sounding them out on different ideas I would like to see and listening to what they have to say…its the old know your enemy thing.

Part of our trouble in Washington is that it is really two State, the East and the West, with the West having all the population, and the vast majority of Home Inspectors. In Eastern Washington, there are only 20 or so NACHI Members and I only take seriously about 4 of those, the ones who have the required SPI License, I have been doing some digging and I post most of what I find out here for the other Washington NACHI Inspectors, whether they agree or not.

The Advisory Board has contacted the two Senators who sponsored the last Bill, right after the KIRO Report, and members of WSDA and WSPCA have said that they have heard that the Legislation will make another appearance during the next legislative session. So far I haven’t contacted any Senators from the East Side, once the Bill is presented again I will, I don’t want to give them time to jump on the Licensing Wagon with the other Senators who support it.

If someone comes up with a half way decent Bill, especially one that addresses the SPI Issue, I don’t know how much support there will be for defeating it, the big support for defeating it earlier this year came from the conststant mention of ASHI in the Bill and the influence of the Education Vendors, many of the Inspectors I talked to both in the East and in the Seattle area are not seriously opposed to a Bill being passed especially if some of the issues are addressed. I can live with it which ever way it goes, I don’t believe it will actually have much effect on most of us, if its too bad, then I can just cut my business back to Idaho only, I’m just getting established in both States anyway. Its not worth getting t5o excited over right now anyway, no one knows what, if anything is coming, if not this year it will come next year though, politcians can’t stand seeing someone they don’t control.

Lewis, you have mail