State rules language a bit confusing

In my state the is a section of the state construction industries board covering home inspections.

Located here:

Interesting story is that the link was broken and I had to call them because they did a website upgrade at some point and this page reverted to an old link that was no longer active…

Back on topic - on page five, it says:

"(6) All home inspectors should provide the standards of practice of this section to all
potential clients prior to the home inspection by proof of signature of acknowledgement.
"

I’m a little confused because “should” doesn’t mean “must” and I’d prefer to just leave a link to the entire section so if one is so inclined they can visit and read all they want but I don’t want to have them sign more documents than necessary. Also Oklahoma has developed its own minimum standards but the only Pre-Inspection agreement I have is for ASHI standards (you’ll have to forgive me because when I decided to become an Inspector I didn’t know anything about the different organizations).

What do you make of it, do I have to provide this to clients and have them sign it, also how do I know if ASHI standards are valid for the state since the state has its own set of standards. Don’t worry i’ll become a member of InterNACHI as soon as possible but right now i’m just trying to get set up.

I include a link to my SOP within my Agreement. The Agreement MUST be signed prior to the inspection, so IMO, I have met the requirements that you stated. I provided access to the information. I can’t force them to read or understand it.

5 Likes

Must, should, could…don’t worry about it. Just do it! No reasonable inspector would choose not to.

Just remove the ASHI SOP and paste the Oklahoma one from their section
158:70-1-3. Standards of workmanship and practice

The remainder of the agreement “limits of liability etc.” should stay in place.

Then, have both an attorney and your insurance company review it.

3 Likes

Well at least that’s a step up from real estate sales people having control.

2 Likes

True, but I have heard of agents trying to get people to use an “EMPS” electrical mechanical plumbing structural inspection here… Which seems a bit off because how are they legal inspections if the entire inspection process is regulated in the state? There are not many but a few places advertising that option here.

Seems shady to me or a cheap way to get around doing a full inspection with a licensed home inspector…