steam pipe as heat source?

Did a recent inspection in a house with a steam heating system. Boiler is located at the basement level. Basement is living space. There are no radiators at the basement level. The only heat “source” in the basement are the steam pipes that run across the ceiling of the basement. They were boxed out in bulkhead with a grill at the bottom presumably to allow heat into the room. Are these steam pipes considered a “heat source”? My senses tell me this is inadequate but would like to hear other opinions on this.

“Inadequate” in what sense? Why are you wanting a conditioned basement?

If the temp can reach 68(F) during the heating season it is okay.

Not sure if it can or will. Unfortunately this was a rental property and the landlord had the thermostat locked in a protective box and I couldn’t access the darn thing so I wasn’t able to activate the heating system. There was a plug in electric heater downstairs which makes me wonder how effective the steam pipes were.

Code books, for what they are worth, do not specify any certain type of heating system as long as it will maintain a temp of 68 F during the heating season.

Write it up that you were unable to test it due to its being locked and recommend that it be evaluated by a licensed HVAC tech prior to close of escrow.

That’s pretty much what I’m going to say. How old do you think this boiler is. House was built in 1905 in case you were wondering.

Was I right? What did I win?

http://www.burnhamboilers.net/

http://www.usboiler.burnham.com/

You might be right if Burnham boilers were around that long.

That boiler is probably insulated with asbestos which is no problem as long as it’s not disturbed. What I find in a lot of old homes is that the insulation on the pipes is damaged or missing. If it’s missing or non existent as you describe, was it properly abated or are those boxed out pipe chases contaminated?

Lacking any effective heat exchangers or fins on those pipes in the basement, it’s doubtful they would provided sufficient room heating capability to maintain 68 degs.

YMMV

Did a recent inspection in a house with a steam heating system. Boiler is located at the basement level. Basement is living space. There are no radiators at the basement level. The only heat “source” in the basement are the steam pipes that run across the ceiling of the basement. They were boxed out in bulkhead with a grill at the bottom presumably to allow heat into the room. Are these steam pipes considered a “heat source”? My senses tell me this is inadequate but would like to hear other opinions on this.

Question that would make some difference , is the basement used for living space ? If so then for sure it should have proper heat source . Example a bedroom &/or bathroom . :smiley:

The temperature has to be maintained at 36" above the floor. A steam system may heat well, but if it’s close to the ceiling, it may not provide adequate heat at that point.

Additionally, if the basement is not considered to be “habitable,” it doesn’t require a heat source.

It was definitely a habitable space, bedroom, kitchen, bath, etc.

I agree with all of your comments guys. Definitely asbestos wrapped, probably won’t provide sufficient heat at 36" above the floor, and I was sure to tell my client that the heat source was questionably adequate.

Ya guys are wondering if the pipes will warm the basement what about excess heat no way to control that just saying:D:D