Steve Irwin "Crocodile Hunter" Killed by Stingray

Very sad! :frowning:

Steve Irwin killed in freak accident at sea

By staff writers
September 04, 2006 05:19pm

Article from: [http://www.news.com.au/images/sources/news_sourcelogo.gif

</IMG>](http://www.news.com.au/?from=ni_story)
Font size: +](http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html#) -](http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html#)
Send this article: Print (http://www.news.com.au/email/popup/0,23605,20349888-2,00.html)

A DOCTOR has told of the desperate efforts to save Australian icon Steve Irwin after the Crocodile Hunter was struck in the chest by a stingray barb today.
Irwin, 44, died this morning after being fatally injured while filming a nature documentary off Queensland.
The news has shocked the nation and prompted a rush of tributes from politicians and the public alike.
Irwin’s wife Terri was in Tasmania at the time of the tragedy and had to be contacted by police with the terrible news.
Dr Ed O’Loughlin was aboard the Emergency Management Queensland Helicopter which was called from Cairns at 11.21am (AEST).
Irwin was being given CPR at Low Isles, off Port Douglas, as the helicopter arrived less than one hour after the incident, but Dr O’Loughlin said nothing could be done to save him.
“It became clear fairly soon that he had non-survivable injuries,” Dr O’Loughlin said.
"He had a penetrating injury to the left front of his chest.
“He had lost his pulse and wasn’t breathing.”
Father-of-two Irwin was swimming at Batt Reef, off the Low Isles, when the tragedy occurred.
Tasmania Police this afternoon confirmed his wife Terri was travelling in the state at the time of the tragedy.
A spokeswoman said police had made contact with Mrs Irwin and “passed on a message relating to the death of her husband”.
The Irwins have two children - a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a three-year-old son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin.
Steve Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry “Crikey!”.
In an sad twist, it has been reported that his new documentary was aimed at demystifying the stingray.
Irwin’s Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.
He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.
Tributes quickly poured in for the larger-than-life character.
Prime Minister John Howard said Irwin was a typical Australian larrikin who brought joy to millions of people around the world. “I am quite shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin’s sudden, untimely and freakish death,” he said.
“It’s a huge loss to Australia.”
A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin’s “enormous contribution” to his adopted state.
“I don’t think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland,” she said.

Wendy

This is very upsetting news to say the least.

My kids are going to go into shock. I’ll probably break it to them so they don’t just randomly see it on tv, but how awful! They’ve been watching him since they were little. Gosh they are going to be traumatized! :frowning: I’m traumatized.

Poor Steve and his wife and kids! :frowning:

Well I guess the Crocodiles will be happy! :slight_smile: Crikey

What a shame! The guy had everything to live for.

And a piece of sh*t like Wesley Cook continues to live.

Maybe instead of saying Crikey we should be say “Croakey”! :slight_smile:

this was a real shock to me, :shock:
and my heart goes out to the family for their loss.
Although we know in the back of our minds that the things he did were dangerous, its really sad when someone loses their life, working at their loved profession.:sad:

Exactly Steven.

I feel terrible. I hope people can be respectful when a tragic loss happens. He brought much joy to many people doing the things we all wish we could do, or never thought of doing.

I’m trying to think…isn’t this the same goober who dangled his baby like chum in front of a man eating crocidile? I hate to see anyone lose their life,and I always say,everyone has to be somebody…but I could never figure out why he did what he did anyway.

oops!..crockodile…sorry

John, yes he dangled the baby. Just like Michael Jackson did with his child over the balcony.

I guess Steve Irwin is permantly “Down Under”!

Ray! You’re killing me!:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

How long before someone drags out the venerable " He died doing what he loved best. He would have wanted it that way."?

I read where the entire death scene is on film, up to and including Irwin pulling the stinger from his chest. Do you think Dick Clark will buy it for “Bloopers and Practical Jokes”.

These posts remind me of the Mary Tyler Moore Show episode where “Chuckles, the Clown” dressed as a peanut was attacked and killed by an elephant in a parade…

Irwin considered himself a “Warrior” for animal conservation. In that respect, he died a true warriors death but apparently it was a result of “friendly fire”.

249 views and not one query about Wesley Cook?

He might have wanted it that way but not at age 44 with two kids in single digits.

How long before it’s on youtube?

And all the more tragic for that.

I’ll bite. Who or what is or was Wesley Cook?

Too close to call which of them was more irresponsible. We all make hare-brained moves from time to time but those two incidents were surpassingly stupid.