Storm Doors

I am reading the Exterior portion of the material. I am confused about storm doors:
“Inspectors should look at all of the exterior doors. While inspecting each exterior door, check each storm door (if present). One of the most common problems with a storm door is the retractor mechanism. The weatherstripping is often in need of repair or replacement. "
Then a few lines later it states:
" The inspector is not required to inspect or operate screens, storm windows, storm doors, shutters or awnings.”
Do we or do we not inspect storm doors?
thanks

I always inspect them…

Ditto

I don’t see any confusion in those statements Nick.

Anyway, you should inspect the storm doors.

I think this is were your confused. Your not required to but you should, the SOP is a guide line and nothing prevents you from going beyond the SOP.

This may be the confusion.

The inspector is not required to inspect or operate screens, storm windows, storm doors, shutters or awnings.

The operative word here is “should”. You do not have to check the screen door but you should.

Here in Minnesota I always check storm doors. I have a 2 for 1 on Monday which is a full home inspection and a 203K write up. When doing the HUD stuff storm doors come up because the appraisers often seem to check them, probably because they are easy to check. Takes a minute and a picture is fast to take so I always note the door for screens, closers ect. If in acceptable condition I leave them pout of the report.

Regardless, look at how much the average storm door is - typically around $250 - $300 bucks. That’s worthy of your clients’ attention IMO. Your going to be Inspecting the door, why not just spend an extra 15 seconds on the storm…

Storm doors get written up here if defective all the time.