Strange thing happened to me tonite at home....

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

So I’m sitting here tonite writing a report on my computer, and wham! My computer turns off and the lights in my office go off…well sorta…

I can see a dim power light on my hard drive and the light in my bedroom is running on 10%…I’m thinking uh-oh…not good. I go thru the rest of the home. TV in the living room is on, other bedroom light is on, kitchen is out, bath is out, basement is out and garage is out…I go check the breakers…no problem there. Grab the flashlight and start searching the home for smoke, or whatever I can find…thinking about heading to the fire department and grabbing a thermo imaging camera to check the walls. Don’t want to go to bed with a problem in the walls brewing…

Can’t find anything…Look outside and neighbors lights are all on…well some are some aren’t which is normal. So I’m thinking of calling an electrican or pull the cover on the panel and look for any problems…I’m thinking to myself, I’m a HI. I should be able to figure this out right? icon_biggrin.gif

Just then a Knock at my door…neighbor asks if I have power. Says he only has power to half his home as well. Then it hit me. Only power to one hot service line, so half the panel has power, the other does not.

Called the power company and an hour later they had someone at the transformer, doing their magic.

I had never heard of that happening before…we always had power or we didn’t…nothing inbetween.

Just thought I'd share an odd evening. Gotta go finish the report now.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

hay Kevin. i too had that same thing happen when i was a teen at my parents house. on a lake so it was not unusual to loose power, but it seems a misguided squrell wondered into a transformer down the street and POOF icon_eek.gif . aparently he only got hit by one service leg. just another story for ya.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

I’ve had this happen numerous times at commercial/industrial applications. It’s referred to as ‘single phasing’ and can be extremely detrimental to 3-phase electrical equipment. Not too much of that in residential applications thank goodness. Kevin…see: http://www.wisconsinpublicservice.com/business/phase.asp

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lkage

kmcmahon wrote:
Just thought I'd share an odd evening.

Interesting...never experienced that...thanks for sharing. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

I had that happen once, House was a year old, underground

wiring, there was a splice on one leg coming in and it failed

builder said that it was not his problem…

he fixed it that afternoon…after…well…

we had a discussion… icon_wink.gif

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: rwand

I believe both legs are independently fused somehow at the transformer?

I am sure Roy Cooke Sr. would know or Joe Tedesco?

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Generally the fuse will be on the primary side, not the secondary.

When you lose one phase it is either a bad transformer or a bad connection.

Originally Posted By: wdecker

We have a number of sub stations around my area. Some of the teens get a kick out of throwing a big metal chain over the fence and trying to short the transformer. These things short out about every two weeks dur to these ‘pranks’.

Never underestimate the stupidity of teens.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: rlind

Kevin,

I had the same thing happen to my home several years back. Our electric company, Commonwealth Edison, was not known for their superior customer service in those days. (Some will say not even today). A service call yielded no response for several hours. Luckily, I obtained an unlisted number to the office of the president for Com Ed through a friend.

I called that number, and wouldn't you know I had no fewer than 3 service trucks show up within 20 minutes? And they fixed the issue within another 10 minutes.

Sometimes, you just gotta go right to the top.....