Strange wear to shingles

With the help of a good friend of mine.

The Ruberoid Company was the first manufacturer to offer asphalt shingles with a rolled wood-grain texture. At the end of the 1950s, 12-by-36 inch, multitab, blue shingles were the most popular roofing material.

http://www.preservapedia.org/Asphalt_shingles

:):smiley:

roofAsphTexture.jpg
This is what we installed but I cant find the name or brand anywhere. Now I am consumed and will remember at 2:45 am sometime next year. Not that it will be relevant now or later.:mrgreen:

Marcel to the rescue again! And I thought …

Nice pic Curtis.
I also found this in my travels.

Different Manufactures of shingles and roof covering and their History.
Intersting reading for some.

http://www.roofery.com/shingles/brands/arrowline.html:)

Hey richard my best guess is defetive shingle. was this installed around the eraly eities? I know there were some that were made wrong about that time.
D. Fackler

It appears to be a failure of the asphalt layer… delamination… and it appears to have a somewhat uniform pattern resembling tiger stripes. It could be a manufacturing defect caused by problems with the drums/rollers in the production line.
If it were poor quality asphalt, I’d expect to see less uniformity.
Either way, I’d say it appears to be at the end of its useful life.

Good site Marcel!

I found this image in my photo library. Look familiar? This shows a tiger pattern with two different colored granules, except that it’s just beginning to delaminate.

I don’t know where I got this. Anyone claim it as theirs?

The question is… on Richard’s roof, was asphalt exposed or is the color variation caused by granule color?

Delamination 1.jpg

Its a manufacturing defect. When the granulate was applied the jets spraying on glue or adhesive was improperly adjusted or nearing its end of the batch.
Calculations to adhesive to material ratio was missed or that was the end of that line of shingles and they were not properly sampled for quality control.
I will say it again.
IKO where banned from making shingles in QUEBEC because of defects like this and the ones Marcel Cyr showed me the last roof he laid.
Yes I have seen this effect. Not often and use to do 150 plus homes a year for 3 to 4 years.
I laid 3 square every hour with a good labor and on a plain roof.
Start a 7 and finish 12 Square before noon.
YES 4 NAIL PER SHINGLE.
HA HA HA
No air guns, I can still beat the gun today I bet with hand nailing.( I think )