Strange wiring configuration

The graphic is ok. I wouldn’t use it in a report. But the text that goes along with it is lacking.

He was referencing this gem :grinning:
Incorrect Installations - Misc. Discussion - InterNACHI®️ Forum

4 Likes

Just for fun do you have a photo of the receptacle?

I posted to that thread and recognize that. But just as his complaint of Richard’s graphic is the narrative that accompanies it, his complaint didn’t actually reference the thread; merely said the outlet was upside down. Now if that’s supposed to be ‘sly’ or ‘coy’ it’s lost to any reader who just read his post.

. . . and yet Randy’s graphic has no text. Lacking because you say it implies something not written. Just read the black part.

Who said anything about putting it in a report? That was your thread days ago. Richard was just attempting to illustrate MWBC for the OP.

For the record, I screen shot a graphic from an old CodeCheck pdf that I have in my library. Maybe @rmayo could come up with one that is more specific to the topic.

I got Ryans reference to the “upside down receptacle” thread. Bob, didn’t you make the same reference recently on another thread?

1 Like

How do we write it up?

You don’t because it’s just a personal opinion on sloppy work that is not a code violation. If neat and workmanlike were actually enforceable 95% of the panels shown on this site would fail.

3 Likes

The winking emoji at the end implies humor and jest, or sly and coy as you say. :wink:

3 Likes

I have some vague recollection from 30-35 years ago of an electrician saying that he always leaves some “slack” in the panel because “you just never know what someone in the future may need to change and if it is me doing the work, I want plenty of wire to work with.”

2 Likes

I think I was distracted by the issue and got a pretty crappy photo of the receptacle.
IMG_6913A

I only asked because for a split-wired receptacle with two circuits (like in Richard’s graphic Fig. 42) if you had 20 amp circuit breakers then the split-wired duplex receptacle would need to be rated for 20 amps also. Since you have a 15 amp duplex receptacle it okay on a single 20 amp circuit.

Could you explain that further? Because he does have 20 amp breakers with a split wired recep. The only difference between this one and Richards graphic is the missing handle tie.

Sure, in Richard’s graphic there is no designation as to the size of the circuit breakers. If they were 20 amps (like in post #1 of this thread) then the split-wired duplex receptacle would need to be rated for 20 amps. A single 15 amp receptacle is not permitted on a 20 amp circuit. By breaking the tab and split wiring a duplex receptacle it becomes a single receptacle on each circuit. This is a common error when using a 20 amp MWBC for the dishwasher/disposal and a duplex receptacle.

4 Likes

Robert, what is the logic behind this regulation from the NEC?

So a split recep is ok with individual 20 amp breakers, but not when it is a standard duplex recep? 15 amp Receps are installed on 20 amp breakers all the time, hence my confusion by your post

This part seemed to contradict itself, because he DOES have a split circuits, not a single 20 amp. thanks!

3 Likes

It’s the other way around. If you split the receptacle (break the tab), it is now two single receptacles. And a single 15 amp receptacle is not allowed on a 20 amp circuit. That’s how I understand it. I just don’t understand the reasoning behind the requirement.

1 Like

That’s correct and it makes little sense because the 15 amp configuration of the single receptacle would not allow a 20 amp cord cap to be plugged in so there is no issue. What’s even crazier is that a single 20 amp receptacle is permitted on a 15 amp circuit. Makes no sense but that’s how it’s written I the NEC.

3 Likes

Yes, thanks. I am just still confused by this part, because the OP doesnt have a single 20 amp circuit.

I don’t want to speak for Robert, but I’m thinking he just meant “20 amp circuit” without the word “single” in front of it. :man_shrugging: