Sub panel improper wiring

yes I am adding things

Those diagrams proved my point about the need for the 4th wire, along with proper bonding/not bonding

Yes, you understand that. My question is - is the one on the left safe?

Again, the only difference is that you cannot separate the neutrals and grounds, which will result in stray current at all the distribution panel grounding conductors. (which could be throughout the whole house)

That 'could’ happen if bonding is past the first means of disconnect. On the left bonding is continuous. Just like from an overhead thru the meter to your panel. No paralleled paths available

Separating prevents stray current.

I may not be doing a good job of explaining but this is the single most important thing to know about electrical inspections.

isnt that what I have been saying?? You cant separate with 3 wires to the sub

you don’t have to

Must be pretty important if you cant even explain it!

2 Likes

But…

whatever…

1 Like

Rob could. First appeared in the 1934 NEC. Not that he is that old.

Morning, Mike.
Hope this post finds you well.

From what I understand, In reference to 'sub/remote panel, the terminal bar, which some individuals refer to as a/the ground buss, 'for the equipment ground." should be bonded or electrically connected to "the enclosure or conductive cabinet.

Grounding/Earthing are a synonym, meaning to connect a metal part to ground/earth.

NFPA 70®: Article 250 of the NEC covers the grounding and bonding of electrical systems. By definition, as well as by function, grounding and bonding are not the same thing. However, they do work closely together in a relationship to help ensure safety in electrical systems.

Anthony, do you have any images of the remote panel further back? Do you have an image of the sub/remote enclosure’s ground terminal?
Thanks in advance.

Hey Robert, below are the pictures of the remote panel. By remote I presume you mean the main panel. I don’t have pictures of the ground terminal. It was buried in the wiring at the left side of the sub panel. I was able to see that it was bonded to the sub panel. I suspect the incorrect wiring was made due to the inability to get to the ground terminal. Normally I obtain pictures of the inside of the panel from two angles, but unfortunately I was focused on the plethora of wires coming in without the proper clamps. There was a lot riding on the edges. I’ve included those pics as well just in case the experts can see beyond my understanding.

What a mess

1 Like

What were the hazards?

Adding circuits with EGC’s from the 2 different panels being connected together thus creating a paralleled path for the neutral current. Similar to connecting neutrals of different circuits together. Very often you will have high EMF readings in the home. Karl Riley has good information on EMF. karl riley emf - Google Search

Tony, the (sub panel(s)) Remote Distribution panel(s) are typically downstream of the (main) Service Disconnect.

2 Likes

Hey Larry, thanks for the word of knowledge; I appreciate it. This field is an exercise in continuing education.

2 Likes

Glad to help… :+1: