Sub Panel or Illegal Tap?

Originally Posted By: rfeiler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

One more obsevation on our panel of the day. It appears that the ground and neutral wires from the same circuit are in the same hole in the ground bus (ground and neutral from same romex are sharing hole in bus). They should be in different holes. Should they become loose both ground and neutral are lost at once leaving a floating hot wire. Two to three wire of the same size are allowed in each ground bus hole (depending on the manufacturers specs) but they should be like types, grounds together, neutrals together.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

You can’t put more than one neutral under a single screw but this is a fairly recent rule (2002) so you may see it in older houses.

Originally Posted By: lkage

rfeiler wrote:
Two to three wire of the same size are allowed in each ground bus hole (depending on the manufacturers specs) but they should be like types, grounds together, neutrals together.

I believe the 2002 NEC prohibits putting anything under the same screw as a neutral (grounded conductor) including another neutral.

Oh, thanks Greg, I was posting while you were. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: bbadger

dedwards wrote:
For Bob Badger,
Bob, if anyone hasn't thanked you lately let me be the next one to do that.

Doug sorry for the delay in responding, I just saw your post.

Let me say you are most welcome, the fact you feel my answers are straight forward makes me happy.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: rcooke

The reason for only one wire under a screw is lets use a neutral that is carrying 10 amps the other neutral is carrying 5 amps let us assume a person comes to the panel and loosens of the neutral and the two wires come out together still fastened to each other . We now can end up with a very different voltage going throughout the circuit . One of the loads could have the voltage increase a lot the other line the voltage would decrease a lot . We now have a condition where some equipment is carrying to much voltage and the other piece of equipment is way down on voltage . The low equipment with the low voltage might not suffer but the equipment with the high voltage could fail instantly . Yes they would have to be on separate legs 50% chance they will be . The cost for some electronic equipment can be very high . Write it up Double taps further evaluation by qualified person . Why do I say qualified person instead of electrician because I use this line for Gas ,oil; ,AC or any place where it is needed. same words different trade.

Roy C sr