Subpanel for new addition?

Hi Guys

I have a thirty year old 1000 SF country house that is having an 1100 SF addition added giving it a total of 2100 SF. The old wiring (125 amp on the main breaker on the outside wall) was owner installed and was barely adequate at the time. I want to have the meter moved to the side rear of the new addition with underground service installed.
Can I install a temporary connection (maybe 40 amp) from the old panel to the new main distribution panel until the power company makes the connection at the new meter location? The new main panel would temporaryly function as a subpanel. After that I can relocate the other circuits from the old to the new panel one at a time. Is this practical or could you point me to a better way?


Stan Kuter

I want through a similar situation this past year when I added 1800 SF. I had to have an engineer from the elect. utility come to my house and meet me and the electrician. Together, we all worked out a plan for temp. power and thought through when and how to do the permanent underground connection. I strongly suggest you get the elect. utility involved with your electrician.

Yes you probably can install the panel temporarily as a sub. Always consult with local authorities.
Even if you only need a 40 amp breaker for now, I would suggest running a large enough feeder to the new panel, eg one that can handle 100 amps or more. That way you can turn your old panel into a sub and leave most of the existing wiring in place. You must be clear on bonding and grounding differences between main panels and sub panels, as you will be changing both when you get the new service installed. Best to hire an electrician and get the benefit of his local knowledge.

John Kogel