Suggestions for the House of Horrors

I think it’s safe to say/obvious that HVAC was a big part of your former occupational life :wink:

I am curious though, do you place as much emphasis and scrutiny on the other gazillion components and systems that make up a house/building/structure?

For #5, I agree in an attic, yes. As far as in a crawlspace and from my experiences around here, non-insulated duct work is a good thing. I believe the conditioned air emitting from the ductwork helps “condition” space below grade, keeping it less prone to big temperature differences and subsequent moisture issues that arise as a result.
Of course, if there is no insulation on the walls and at rim joists, I always recommend doing that.

If the supply and return air ducts either one or both pass into or through a non condition space It gets on my repair list. In Okla we only like to pay for the conditioning of the air within the space that is habitual

And yes as a HI I take the other systems (Plumbing, Electrical, Structural )within a home as serious as I do HVAC don’t you;-)

In Ohio, it’s cheaper to pay for the uninhabitable conditioning on your monthly energy bill vs. paying someone later on to fix a moldy crawlspace full of rotten wood :wink:

I inspected a flip once with sliding windows upside down that would not be noticed if I did not open it and have it fall out in by hands. Ive seen double hungs installed sideways as sliders and sliders installed vertically a single or double hung. Add some crimps to your line sets. those are hard to notice but will kill a condenser unit.
just some ideas.

swap the furnace flue pipes so inlet air goes outside and flue discharges into attic. That would be difficult to notice without it being operational

Lots of good suggestions, thanks! It’s surprising how many of them we have already installed or are on our list to install.