Summary Page?

I produce a summary report but also have this statement within the customer contract signed by the end user.

I agree to read the entire summary, main inspection reports and scope of work as received from your inspector, or from your realty agent if you choose to have them to receive it for you.

You are welcome to put any silly thing you like in your report & contract and you may even get some of your clients to sign off on it, but don’t be so disillusioned to think that you could ever convince a judge or jury that the client is somehow obligated to you beyond paying your bill. They purchased a report from you and can do with it as they please, up to and including using it to wipe their a$$, and you have no recourse.

I am quite amused at the self importance some of you pour on yourself in demanding people read what you have written, are you all failed novelists that lack the ability to attract a publisher while now placing unrealistic demands of the few folks that will ever get to see your prose?

:roll:

I’m happy that most clients want to be at the inspection. I would like to see reports in 3-D hologarms just like in the first Star Wars where Pricess Leia asked for help from Obi-Wan Kenobi. :mrgreen:

Some summaries are lengthy, but face it, what is it’s intended purpose? Your report should be an evaluation of the home, warts and all. That is why it is important to manage the customer’s expectations BEFORE, during and after the inspection. I often will have a home with numerous electrical errors/discrepancies but it may be easily correctable items. I convey that to the customer while the number may be significant the corrections are manageable and should be done by a licensed, competent professional, not their cousin Fester, twice removed, who used to work for a contractor one summer while learning the septic tank business. Be honest, be serious when need be but one doesn’t have to say “Oh MY God!” for every little thing that comes up. Some inspectors are so scared of being sued they put silly crap in the report and hope the Realtors don’t get mad or the customer gets scared off. Sometimes the less said is more. Spend more time covering the inspection and less time covering your a$$, learn to write critically statements while covering what needs to be covered. I guess I was fortunate as I had to learn to write personnel evaluations and we only had one page to do it. You have to be succinct and still get all you want to say across the readers.

I feel a summery page is not needed for some of the reasons above.
The whole report is supposed to be a summery of the place.
Ok so maybe they do not care the roof is flat or roof is modified bitumen[size=2] with improper flashing.[/size]
But to assure you are not focusing attention on the roof while that small item such as Vent is metal spring type.[size=2]just gets completely ignored as you figure it is too minor for the summery.(to bad about the fire 6 months later)[/size]
It is best to make going through the entire report fast and easy.
Table of contents and good separation.
nachiboard.jpg
Just my opinion

Hi Kevin
I include a summary page. I think it is more for convienience of the realtors. One agency that I work with only sends the summary to the listing agent when asking for credits or repairs. If their buyer chooses to back out of the deal, then the whole report is sent. Different offices do different things.
Nathan