Super-termites: talk about your hungery bugs!

This is from a house in South Africa. This is what’s left of the hip rafter. A few other rafters were in the same condition. This roof didn’t even feel spongy to walk on.

yikes

Wow Kenton, obviously you must have walked the roof first. The roof structural integrity appears to be badly compromised and serious injury could have occurred. From a distance it can be very difficult to fully determine the extent of damage that termites can cause, but this one is very obvious. I can’t remember ever seeing one this bad (in person), close though.
I have personally experienced a roof collapse (1 time). It was the end of the day after a complete roof tear-off and before leaving we loaded the roofing material on the roof and ridge area, as commonly practiced. No visible concerns were observed with the roofing structure or sheeting, everything appeared perfectly fine. It was not until the next day when arriving back to the job site that we noticed that the gable roof had collapsed into a flat roof. Upon further review we found that there was a huge termite infestation and they were going to town on this complete structure. We didn’t have a clue until it was too late of course. The home was a rental and was currently vacant; the previous tenants lived there for a number of years prior and never complained of seeing any termite (bug) concerns. The home owner without question realized that it was not our fault and the termites were the cause. He gladly paid for a structural engineer to inspect the structural impact the termites have caused and correction were made. Some of the termite infested wood was like balsawood.

Gary wow, scary story. I lived in Southern California for 24 years and never saw a single termite. Saw termite damage, but nary a single bug. Plus I’ve been to Hemet. Most of the time it’s so hot, no one ever goes into the attic for fear they’d never come out!

Gary wow, scary story. I lived in Southern California for 24 years and never saw a single termite. Saw termite damage, but nary a single bug. Plus I’ve been to Hemet. Most of the time it’s so hot, no one ever goes into the attic for fear they’ll never come out!

This home was out in the middle of some orange groves, this may have been an increased factor. This was my first and only experience where termites were a major factor with a structural collapse and hopefully my last.

We maybe a little closer to the sun then most, but we have the most beautiful climate in the winter time, little to no rain, and in the 70’s

This wasn’t my inspection, but a local inspector came by today and gave me over 9000 photos and this was one. He mentioned that he’s never seen termite damage in a roof before.
Hemet’s famous for being hot and also a desirable place to live for those who like heat. Got a lake there somewhere close don’t you?

There are a few lakes, Lake Elsinore, Lake Hemet, Lake Skinner, Lake Perris, Diamond Valley Lake and Vail Lake, all are within 30 miles. Some are fishing only with no contact, while others are full contact with recreational use.

I’m just over an hour from the beach (Huntington Beach or San Juan Capistrano) and 30 minutes from Idlewild in Mt San Jacinto if I want to visit snow in winter. Which I prefer to view the beauty from afar.

Termites here in the midwest are very common. If a home does not have them, it will. It is not a matter of if, but when.

One of my first inspections years ago was at a home built in 1930. Termites were so prevelant there, the mounds in the basement were 3 feet across, and ran to the ceiling. Home was adbandoned for years. City tore it down 3 days later. I lost the pictures I took. Yes, termites will build their own tunnels straight up from the floor, with no support. They will also travel up walls without eating anything, then all of the sudden, rafters are gone. I have seen perfect floor joists, with ceiling rafters fully infested. Realize that termites think that they are “up a tree”, and will avoid lower areas for support of the upper areas. Critters are smart.

When you coming back to the states?

CA had a lot of them. CO has them but they’re not a major problem for the most part.
I’m booked for Oct. 31 but may extend depending on now the course writing goes. Been going kind of slowly. Attitudes are a lot more lax about building and the inspection industry is on the small side. Real estate agents hate them unless they’re the ones buying the home.

You walked it first?